In one of the deadliest incidents since aid resumed in Gaza, Israeli tank fire killed at least 59 people and injured over 220 as thousands of desperate residents crowded around stalled food trucks in Khan Younis on Tuesday. Medics described scenes of horror, with victims brought to overwhelmed hospitals in rickshaws, civilian cars, and donkey carts—many clinging to life after seeking nothing more than basic food supplies. The attack adds to the growing toll of civilians killed while attempting to access aid in the war-torn enclave.
Heavy shelling targets aid seekers
Witnesses reported that Israeli tanks fired at least two shells into the crowd gathered along a major road in eastern Khan Younis, where aid trucks were distributing food. Videos on social media showed mangled bodies strewn across the street, underscoring the brutality of the strike. An eyewitness named Alaa recounted to Reuters that Israeli troops had initially allowed the crowd to move forward before opening fire.
At Nasser Hospital, patients lay on the floor and in corridors due to lack of space. Medics said 20 of the injured were in critical condition, calling the incident the single deadliest since Israel partially lifted its blockade on Gaza last month. Meanwhile, at least 14 more Palestinians were killed in other Israeli airstrikes and shootings across the enclave, bringing Tuesday’s death toll to at least 73.
Mounting casualties and contested aid delivery
The Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) confirmed firing in the area, saying troops responded to a gathering near a stuck aid truck close to their operations. While the IDF acknowledged injuries from their fire and said the incident is under review, they stressed efforts are made to minimize harm to civilians.
Since late May, the Palestinian health ministry says 397 people have been killed and over 3,000 injured while trying to access aid. Israel has been funneling supplies through the newly formed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF), backed by the U.S. and guarded by Israeli forces. However, the United Nations has rejected the GHF model, calling it unsafe and biased. Gaza officials allege hundreds have died trying to reach these sites, while the GHF insists its distributions have been incident-free.
The humanitarian crisis continues to spiral, with nearly 55,000 Palestinians killed since the war began in October 2023, according to Gaza’s health ministry, and most of the 2.3 million population displaced amid a deepening hunger emergency.
