Chief Minister Rekha Gupta says appointments mark restoration of dignity, not just employment; emotional ceremony at Delhi Secretariat
New Delhi, December 12, 2025: In a significant move aimed at delivering long-delayed justice to victims of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, the Delhi Government on Friday issued government appointment letters to 36 dependants of riot-affected families. The appointment letters were distributed by Chief Minister Rekha Gupta at a ceremony held at the Delhi Secretariat, marking what the government described as a new chapter of dignity and recognition for families who have waited nearly four decades for meaningful relief.
Addressing the gathering, Chief Minister Rekha Gupta said the appointments were not merely a means of livelihood but a formal recognition of the dignity, rights and identity of families that have endured decades of pain, neglect and struggle. She said the step reflected the Delhi Government’s sensitivity and accountability towards victims of one of the darkest chapters in India’s history. According to the Chief Minister, the decision represents justice achieved after forty years of waiting.
The programme was marked by deeply emotional scenes as several beneficiaries, including many women, were overwhelmed while receiving their appointment letters. Many were seen with tears in their eyes as they thanked the Chief Minister, while some stepped forward to embrace her in a moment of shared emotion. Rekha Gupta personally consoled the families and assured them that the Delhi Government would continue to stand with them at every stage.
As the ceremony progressed, the beneficiaries collectively switched on the flashlights of their mobile phones inside the hall to express gratitude. The illuminated hall became a powerful symbol of renewed hope and confidence for families who, for years, had felt forgotten by the system. Officials present said the gesture reflected how the government’s decision had restored a sense of trust and self-respect among the affected families.
The event was attended by Cabinet Minister Manjinder Singh Sirsa, senior government officials and a large number of members from riot-affected families. Representatives of the Sikh community were also present and felicitated the Chief Minister for the recently organised commemoration of the 350th martyrdom anniversary of Guru Tegh Bahadur in Delhi.
Speaking on the occasion, Rekha Gupta said the 1984 riots remain an indelible scar on the conscience of the nation. She acknowledged that no compensation or government support could ever truly make up for the loss of loved ones suffered by the victims. However, she said sustained efforts have been made in recent years to move closer to justice. The Chief Minister pointed out that after Narendra Modi became Prime Minister, decisive steps were taken at the national level, including the formation of a Special Investigation Team, to fast-track the pursuit of justice for riot victims.
She said the Delhi Government has carried forward that resolve and ensured that affected families are provided with a dignified and secure life. According to the Chief Minister, the appointment letters symbolise justice delivered after decades of struggle and broken promises. She alleged that previous governments had made repeated assurances but failed to take concrete steps that could bring real change in the lives of riot-affected families.
The Chief Minister said that after assuming office, the Delhi Government initiated a systematic process to identify eligible dependants and ensured that the appointment procedure was transparent and time-bound. She noted that a few weeks earlier, 19 dependants had already received appointment letters, and with the issuance of 36 more letters on Friday, the government has continued to expand support for riot-affected families. The newly appointed candidates have been posted as Multi-Tasking Staff across various departments of the Delhi Government.
Congratulating the appointees, Rekha Gupta urged them to discharge their duties with honesty, discipline and dedication. She encouraged them to actively contribute to the vision of a developed Delhi and assured them of continued government support.
Cabinet Minister Manjinder Singh Sirsa said that families affected by the 1984 riots have endured decades of hardship in their fight for justice, security and respect. He said many families waged prolonged legal and social battles while carrying the lifelong trauma of losing their loved ones. The appointment letters issued on Friday, he said, serve as a genuine balm on wounds that had remained unhealed for years.
Sirsa added that considering the advanced age of many parents who were direct victims of the riots, the Delhi Government allowed employment to be offered to their children instead. He said that for the first time in the country, special relaxations in both age and educational qualifications have been granted to prioritise these families. According to him, the initiative goes beyond political considerations and reflects a commitment to compassion, service and justice.
He said the decision was not merely about providing jobs but about restoring the self-respect of families who had suffered in silence for decades. The move, Sirsa added, stands as an example of governance rooted in empathy and responsibility, aimed at healing long-standing wounds and reaffirming faith in the system.
