Noida
Four days after the tragic death of software engineer Yuvraj Mehta, authorities on Tuesday retrieved his car from a deep pit in Noida. The operation to extract the vehicle was carried out using a crane and concluded at around 6:40 pm after an intense rescue and recovery effort lasting over six hours.
A 30-member team of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) was deployed at the site to carry out the complex operation. The team faced significant challenges due to the depth of the pit, water accumulation, and difficult terrain. After sustained efforts, the car was finally pulled out in the presence of police and local administration officials.
Yuvraj Mehta had died by drowning on January 16 after his car reportedly fell into the pit, which was allegedly left uncovered at a construction site. According to officials, the pit had accumulated a large quantity of water, turning it into a death trap. The incident sparked outrage among residents and raised serious questions about construction safety and negligence in the area.
Police officials said that the builder associated with the construction site has been arrested in connection with the case. The arrest was made after a preliminary investigation found lapses in safety measures and violations of construction norms. Authorities stated that the pit was neither properly barricaded nor marked with warning signs, despite being located near a road used by commuters.
“The investigation so far indicates gross negligence. The builder failed to ensure basic safety arrangements at the site, which ultimately led to the fatal accident,” a senior police officer said. The police have registered a case under relevant sections related to causing death by negligence and are continuing further investigation.
The recovery of the car was considered a crucial step in the probe, as it is expected to provide additional evidence regarding the sequence of events leading to the accident. Forensic teams are likely to inspect the vehicle to assess whether there was any mechanical failure or if the accident occurred solely due to site conditions.
Family members of Yuvraj Mehta have demanded strict action against all those responsible for the incident. They alleged that repeated complaints had been made earlier about unsafe construction practices in the area, but no effective action was taken by the concerned authorities.
Local residents also expressed anger and grief, stating that open pits and poorly managed construction sites have become a recurring hazard in Noida. Many residents claimed that such sites often lack proper lighting, barricades, and signage, posing serious risks, especially at night or during low-visibility conditions.
Following the incident, the district administration has reportedly ordered a review of ongoing construction projects in the area. Officials said that inspections would be intensified and strict action would be taken against builders found violating safety norms. “No compromise will be made on public safety. Builders will be held accountable for any negligence,” an administrative official said.
The tragic death of the young software engineer has once again highlighted the need for stricter enforcement of construction safety regulations and greater accountability among developers. As the investigation continues, authorities have assured that all responsible parties will be brought to justice.
Meanwhile, the NDRF team concluded its operation after securing the vehicle and handing it over to the police for further examination. The area around the pit has since been cordoned off to prevent any further accidents.
Police officials said further arrests cannot be ruled out as the investigation progresses.
