When schools reopened in Chhattisgarh this April, parents did what they always do: bought books so their children wouldn’t fall behind. But with a government order suddenly promising free books two months into the session, many parents are left wondering if education is truly the priority or if paperwork is taking over classrooms. The confusion has led to frustration among parents and schools, triggering a political row while thousands of students wait for clarity.
The Chhattisgarh Education Department issued an eight-point directive on June 25, telling schools to wait for government-distributed free books under the state syllabus. But by then, many parents had already spent thousands on books. Small trader Dhalendra Sahu, who earns around Rs 25,000-28,000 a month, bought books worth Rs 10,000 for his three daughters in Class 8, 3, and nursery when schools reopened. “Now, if the syllabus changes, we will suffer,” he says, adding that most parents can’t afford to buy books twice in a year.
Schools Caught Off Guard by Mid-Session Order
The sudden order left private schools scrambling. Schools reopened on June 16 after summer vacations, but government books had not arrived. Rajiv Gupta, president of the Private School Association, said schools were forced to continue with private publishers as they couldn’t leave students without books. “There are over 800 schools and two lakh students in Raipur alone. If book distribution begins on July 1, it will take until July 20 to reach everyone,” Gupta explained.
The Education Department’s move, while intended to support students by providing free books, has highlighted gaps in planning and execution. The confusion has also created pressure on schools to align with government directions while ensuring that academic progress does not stall for students in the middle of their syllabus.
Political Blame Game Over Delayed Book Distribution
The issue has now turned political. Congress has accused the Education Department of working in collusion with private schools to benefit private publishers by delaying SCERT book distribution. “Due to corrupt officials and the private school lobby, free books meant for lakhs of students haven’t been given,” said Congress spokesperson Vikas Tiwari, adding that parents are being misled in the name of CBSE.
The ruling BJP, while acknowledging the delays, calls the move an “experiment” to improve education quality. BJP spokesperson Gaurishankar Shrivas stated, “This is part of a review process, and appropriate steps will be taken.” According to the BJP, not all schools fall under the directive, and the department will ensure that the rollout of books aligns with academic goals without causing unnecessary disruption.
At the heart of the matter is the concern that students’ learning is being compromised by logistical mismanagement. Many parents argue that while free books are a good initiative, timing is crucial, and such directives should align with the academic calendar. With books now likely to reach students only after July, parents and schools are left managing a gap in learning while trying to keep children’s education on track.
The situation underscores a simple but important reminder: education should focus on students, not administrative files, and policies should empower parents and schools instead of leaving them caught between rules and reality in the middle of the academic year.
