Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister DK Shivakumar has firmly denied allegations made by the opposition BJP that he suggested amending the Constitution to allow religion-based reservations. He stated that if the accusation were proven true, he would retire from politics. DK Shivakumar accused the BJP of fabricating claims due to their inability to accept his political stance, asserting that his remarks had been misinterpreted.
Addressing reporters on Tuesday, DK Shivakumar criticized the BJP for allegedly spreading misinformation. He maintained that at no point did he advocate for changing the Constitution. “Am I mad? Those raising this issue have gone mad. BJP leaders cannot accept my interview, nor can they tolerate my political position,” he said. He further challenged the BJP to produce any evidence supporting their allegations, reaffirming his commitment to constitutional values.
DK Shivakumar also mentioned that the Congress high command had reached out to him for clarification. He explained that after reviewing the video of his interview, the party leadership was convinced that he had not made any statements suggesting constitutional amendments. “They inquired anxiously, and I provided them with the footage of my statement. After watching it, they were convinced,” he said.
Reacting to reports that the BJP planned to protest by waving black flags at his events, DK Shivakumar dismissed their actions as political theatrics. “They have a special affection for me. They can’t sleep without mentioning my name or creating controversies around me. Let them continue,” he remarked. Urging media and political observers to watch his full interview, he called the BJP’s accusations baseless and misleading.
He further accused the BJP of attempting to divert public attention from critical issues by creating unnecessary uproar in Parliament. “Are our leaders fools? They have verified my statements. I, too, have reviewed them, and so can you,” he asserted. He emphasized that Congress remains committed to protecting the Constitution and that his words were being twisted for political gains.
Addressing separate allegations of phone tapping raised by opposition leaders, including from the BJP and JD(S), DK Shivakumar pointed to previous instances of alleged surveillance under past governments, which were investigated by the CBI. He challenged the BJP-led central government to release findings from past CBI probes before raising fresh accusations.
On a related matter, when asked about Cooperation Minister K N Rajanna’s complaint regarding an alleged ‘honeytrap’ attempt, DK Shivakumar expressed confidence in Home Minister G Parameshwara’s ability to conduct a fair investigation. “He will ensure a proper probe and deliver justice to Rajanna, the party, and those affected,” he stated.
The controversy surrounding DK Shivakumar highlights the ongoing political tensions between the ruling Congress and the opposition BJP in Karnataka. While DK Shivakumar remains firm in his stance, the BJP continues to press its allegations, setting the stage for further political confrontations in the state.
