Joshua Riibe, the last known person to have seen missing Indian-origin University of Pittsburgh student Sudiksha Konanki in the Dominican Republic, has left the Caribbean nation, his lawyers confirmed. The 22-year-old St. Cloud University student from Minnesota was previously detained by Dominican authorities but was released after a judge ruled he could cooperate without being held in custody.
Judge Edwin Rijo, who presided over the case, determined after a five-hour trial that Joshua Riibe, classified as a witness, should not face any restrictions on his movement. Following his release, Joshua Riibe obtained a new passport from the U.S. consulate instead of reclaiming his original passport, citing privacy reasons. It remains unclear where he traveled after departing the Dominican Republic.
Sudiksha Konanki had traveled to the Dominican Republic on March 3 for spring break with five female friends. She was last seen on March 6 near a beach close to her hotel before disappearing. Dominican police initiated an extensive search operation but have yet to locate her.
According to transcripts of his interview with prosecutors, reported by Dominican media and outlets such as NBC and Telemundo, Joshua Riibe stated that he and Sudiksha Konanki had been drinking on the beach and kissing in the ocean when they were caught in a current. As a former lifeguard, Joshua Riibe claimed he was able to assist Sudiksha Konanki back to shore. Once on the beach, Riibe reportedly vomited, and Sudiksha Konanki told him she was going to retrieve her belongings. When he looked up again, she was gone. Joshua Riibe later told investigators he was shocked to learn of her disappearance.
Meanwhile, Sudiksha Konanki’s parents, Subbarayudu and Sreedevi Konanki, have formally requested Dominican authorities to declare their daughter legally deceased. In a letter, they stated that after an extensive search, officials believe their 20-year-old daughter drowned. “Initiating this process will allow our family to begin the grieving process and address matters related to her absence,” the letter read. “While no declaration can truly ease our grief, we trust that this step will bring some closure and enable us to honor her memory.”
Michael Chapman, sheriff of Loudoun County, Virginia—where the Sudiksha Konanki family resides—stated that officials have been coordinating with Dominican authorities and continue to examine evidence in the case. “The disappearance of Sudiksha Konanki is tragic, and we cannot imagine the grief her family has been feeling,” Chapman said. “While the final decision to declare her deceased rests with Dominican authorities, we will support the Sudiksha Konanki family in every way possible.”
