A deadly stampede during a ‘satsang’ in Uttar Pradesh’s Hathras claimed the lives of 121 people on Tuesday. Scores of bodies were seen lying on blocks of ice inside a government hospital, as wailing relatives of the victims waited outside to take the mortal remains back home. The victims were part of a crowd of thousands that had gathered near Phulrai village in the Sikandrarau area for the ‘satsang’ by religious preacher Bhole Baba. The stampede occurred around 3:30 pm.
According to an eyewitness, thousands of people were present at the venue. As Baba was leaving, many rushed to touch his feet. In the chaos, people slipped and fell over one another due to parts of the ground being boggy with water from a nearby drain.
Hathras stampede: What happened so far
Uttar Pradesh Chief Secretary Manoj Kumar Singh told news agency PTI that overcrowding was a primary reason behind the stampede. Singh noted that the event organizers’ application estimated 80,000 attendees, but the actual number was much higher, with reports suggesting nearly 2.5 lakh people turned up.
As the ‘satsang’ concluded, devotees ran behind Baba Narayan Hari’s vehicle to touch his feet, causing people to slip and fall. Deputy Superintendent of Police Sunil Kumar told ANI that the police were on the lookout for the godman.
Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath is expected to visit Hathras on Wednesday. Adityanath said, “Our government will get to the bottom of this incident and give appropriate punishment to the conspirators and those responsible. The state government is investigating this entire incident. We will see whether it is an accident or a conspiracy.”
A government statement indicated that a team comprising ADG Agra and Aligarh Divisional Commissioner has been formed to investigate the cause of the incident, with a report due within 24 hours. Three ministers — Laxmi Narayan Chaudhary, Asim Arun, and Sandeep Singh — were dispatched to the scene shortly after the incident.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed profound sorrow over the stampede and announced Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia for the next of kin of the deceased and Rs 50,000 for the injured. PM Modi also stated that senior officials of the central government were in constant contact with the Uttar Pradesh administration to coordinate aid efforts.
Helpline Numbers Released
– Agra Zone Control: 7839866849
– Aligarh Range Control: 7839855724
– Agra Range Control: 7839855724
– Hathras Control: 9454417377
– Etah Control: 9454417438
– Aligarh Control: 7007459568
A First Information Report (FIR) has been filed against the organizers of the Hathras ‘satsang’, citing overcrowding and security lapses, prompting an investigation. Advocate Gaurav Dwivedi has filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) in the Allahabad High Court demanding a CBI inquiry into the stampede. The FIR details the sections under which the case has been filed.
The stampede occurred at the congregation of Baba Narayan Hari alias Saakar Vishwa Hari ‘Bhole Baba’, a former policeman turned religious preacher. Bhole Baba, whose real name is Surajpal, is from Bahadur Nagar in Kasganj district. He has no children and travels with his wife to ‘satsangs’.
Eyewitnesses and survivors of the tragedy told Aaj Tak, India Today’s sister channel, that they considered themselves fortunate to have escaped. They also noted insufficient police deployment and people hastily leaving the venue due to the heat.
German, Chinese, and French envoys mourned the loss of lives and extended condolences to the victims’ families. In separate posts on X, the envoys expressed sympathies and hoped for the quick recovery of those injured.
