Mumbai, Maharashtra: Mumbai Police have arrested another suspect in connection with the firing incident outside filmmaker Rohit Shetty’s residence, taking the total number of arrests in the case to five, officials said on Thursday.
The latest arrest was carried out by the Anti-Extortion Cell of the Mumbai Police Crime Branch in Pune. The accused has been identified as Asharam Fasle, who is alleged to have supplied the firearm used in the shooting.
With Fasle now in custody, all five accused are expected to be produced before a court later in the day for remand. The police custody of the four previously arrested suspects is set to expire on Thursday. Officials said the person who actually fired shots outside Shetty’s residence is still absconding.
Extortion angle under probe
Investigators believe the case is linked to an alleged extortion racket targeting prominent personalities in the Hindi film industry. Police said Shubham Lonkar, described as a close associate of jailed gangster Lawrence Bishnoi and currently a fugitive, is suspected to be behind the threats.
According to police, Lonkar allegedly targeted at least five well-known Bollywood celebrities, making extortion calls demanding money. However, none of the celebrities allegedly targeted have filed formal complaints so far. Investigators said fear may be a key reason behind the reluctance to approach authorities.
Incident meant to create fear
The firing incident took place last Sunday outside Shetty’s bungalow in the Juhu area of Mumbai. Police believe the shots were fired to intimidate and spread fear within the film industry rather than to cause physical harm.
A senior police officer said intelligence inputs suggest that several individuals may have received threats but are unwilling to come forward to record statements or lodge complaints, complicating the investigation.
Threatening messages allegedly linked to Lonkar have surfaced on social media, including a post warning Shetty and other members of the film fraternity. However, Rohit Shetty has denied receiving any direct threatening calls.
Search for gunman continues
Multiple police teams have been deployed across different parts of the country to trace the absconding shooter and other individuals involved in the case. Officials said more clarity on who ordered the attack is expected once the gunman is arrested.
