• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > Sports > Paris Olympics: Italy's Angela Carini quits boxing match against boxer who failed gender test
Sports

Paris Olympics: Italy's Angela Carini quits boxing match against boxer who failed gender test

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

Paris [France], August 1 (ANI): Italian boxer Angela Carini quit her 66 kg women’s category boxing match against Algeria’s Imane Khalif on Thursday, handing the latter, who was banned from competing in world championships following failures in testosterone and gender eligibility tests, a win in the opening round.

Algeria’s Khelif won the fight within just 46 seconds after her opponent quit. A very few punches were thrown before Carini abandoned the match, which is a rare occurrence in Olympic boxing.

Following the match, the Italian was in tears and refused to shake hands with Khelif, as per ESPN.

In the post-match interview, Khelif said as quoted by ESPN that she felt severe pain in her nose during the fight. She also said that she was not going to judge if Khelif should be allowed to compete at the Olympics.

“I felt a severe pain in my nose, and with the maturity of a boxer, I said ‘enough,’ because I didn’t want to, I did not want to, I could not finish the match,” Carini said.

“I am not here to judge or pass judgment. If an athlete is this way, and in that sense, it is not right or it is right, it is not up to me to decide. I just did my job as a boxer. I got into the ring and fought. I did it with my head held high and with a broken heart for not having finished the last kilometre,” she added.

Just before her gold medal bout in the International Boxing Association (IBA) Women’s Championships held in New Delhi last year, Khelif was disqualified as she had failed to meet IBA’s eligibility criteria. She was not allowed to compete due to elevated testosterone levels, as per ESPN.

But she was allowed to compete in the Paris Olympics by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) task force, which is running past two Olympic boxing events as IBA has been banned from the past two years in Olympics due to governance issues, lack of financial transparency and instances of corruption in judging and refereeing.

The IOC had defended the rights of Khelif and Lin Yu-ting, another boxer in scrutiny due to failing an unspecified eligibility requirement in a biochemical test, to compete in the Olympics. Lin from Chinese Taipei will lock horns with Uzbekistan’s Sitora Turdibekova in the 57kg event on Friday.

Notably, for the first time ever, with 124 men and women competing, Olympics boxing reached gender parity.

“Everyone competing in the women’s category is complying with the competition eligibility rules,” IOC spokesperson Mark Adams said as quoted by ESPN.

“They are women in their passports, and it is stated that this is the case that they are female,” he added.

Several sports bodies have updated their gender rules over the years, including the World Aquatics, World Athletics and International Cycling Union. However, the IOC said that they made eligibility decisions on boxers based on gender-related rules applicable at the 2016 Rio Olympics. These bodies ban athletes who went through male puberty from women’s events.

“What I would say is that this involves real people and we are talking about real people’s lives here,” Adams said. “They have competed and they continue to compete in the women’s competition. They have lost and they have won against other women over the years,” he added. (ANI)

You Might Also Like

"Being number two, it's amazing feeling…": Jannik Sinner after winning Miami Open
Delhi Capitals should retain Pant, Axar, Stubbs, McGurk: Harbhajan Singh
Saurabh Chaudhary clinches bronze at ISSF World Cup in Lima | cliQ Latest
'Feels good to be back, travelling with team': Indian pacer Jasprit Bumrah
Rain clouds threaten India-Pakistan T20 World Cup clash in Colombo, raising concerns over match and training plans | Cliq Latest

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article New season of Marvel's Wastelanders: Doom podcast series to be out on this date
Next Article 3.5-year-old girl crushed to death by falling iron gate in Pune

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?