The Government of India has evacuated more than 52,000 Indian nationals from the Gulf region within a week following the outbreak of war in West Asia, according to the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA). The evacuation efforts took place between March 1 and March 7 as tensions escalated across the region, disrupting travel and raising safety concerns for thousands of Indian citizens.
The MEA stated that a total of 52,000 Indian nationals have already been brought back safely to India during this period. Of these, 32,107 passengers travelled on Indian carriers, while the remaining passengers returned through foreign airlines operating in the region. The coordinated evacuation effort reflects the government’s rapid response to the emerging crisis and its commitment to ensuring the safety of Indian citizens abroad.
MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said the government has been closely monitoring developments in West Asia and the Gulf region since the outbreak of hostilities. Special attention has been given to Indian nationals who were stranded while transiting through the region or travelling on short-duration visits.
According to the ministry, the situation in the region initially led to significant disruptions in air travel due to restrictions and closures of airspace. However, the partial reopening of airspace in recent days has allowed both scheduled and special flights to resume operations. This development has made it possible to facilitate the safe return of thousands of passengers who were previously unable to travel.
Jaiswal noted that the government is continuing to coordinate with airlines and local authorities to arrange additional flights in the coming days. These flights are intended to assist Indian nationals who are still awaiting evacuation from different parts of the Gulf region.
The Ministry of External Affairs has also advised Indian citizens currently residing or travelling in the region to strictly follow the instructions issued by local authorities as well as the advisories released by Indian embassies and consulates. The ministry emphasized that staying informed and adhering to official guidelines is essential for ensuring personal safety during the ongoing crisis.
In response to the situation, Indian diplomatic missions in the affected countries have issued detailed advisories to their citizens. These missions have also established 24-hour helplines to provide assistance, guidance, and updated information to Indian nationals who may be facing travel difficulties or other concerns.
To further strengthen coordination and support efforts, the MEA has set up a dedicated Special Control Room in New Delhi. The control room is tasked with monitoring developments in the region and responding to queries from Indian nationals and their family members. Officials at the control room are also coordinating with embassies, airlines, and local authorities to facilitate travel arrangements and emergency assistance.
The ministry has made details of all helplines available on its official website so that affected individuals and their families can easily access support. Indian nationals who are currently located in countries where commercial flights remain unavailable have been advised to contact the nearest Indian embassy or consulate for guidance on alternative travel options.
Jaiswal reiterated that the safety and welfare of Indian nationals abroad remains the government’s highest priority. He said the government is actively engaging with authorities across the region to ensure that Indian citizens receive the necessary support during this difficult period.
The current crisis in West Asia began in late February following a dramatic escalation of tensions involving Israel, the United States, and Iran. The conflict reportedly intensified after targeted airstrikes in Tehran that resulted in the killing of Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and several senior officials of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
In response to the strikes, Iran launched missile attacks targeting Israel and American military bases located across the Gulf region. The escalation quickly drew in several regional actors and led to widespread instability across West Asia.
The conflict has had far-reaching consequences beyond the immediate military confrontation. Air travel disruptions, heightened security risks, and concerns about energy supply have emerged as major challenges for countries closely connected to the Gulf region.
India maintains strong economic and strategic ties with Gulf countries, and millions of Indian citizens live and work in the region. As a result, any instability in West Asia directly affects India’s economic interests and the safety of its diaspora.
The government’s evacuation efforts reflect the importance of safeguarding Indian nationals during international crises. By coordinating flights, providing emergency assistance, and maintaining constant communication with citizens abroad, the authorities aim to minimize the impact of the conflict on Indian travelers and workers.
Officials have indicated that evacuation and assistance operations will continue as long as necessary, with additional flights expected to operate in the coming days for those still awaiting safe passage hom
