• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > International > Netanyahu appoints new security chief despite legal advice he can't
International

Netanyahu appoints new security chief despite legal advice he can't

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE

Tel Aviv [Israel], May 24 (ANI/TPS): A power struggle between Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and the country’s legal system escalated when he appointed Maj.-Gen. David Zini as the next director of the Israeli Security Agency (Shin Bet) on Thursday evening.

The appointment came one day after the High Court of Justice and Attorney General ruled Netanyahu had a conflict of interest in the appointment.

“Maj.-Gen. Zini has served in many [Israel Defense Forces] operational positions and commands, including: A fighter in the General Staff Reconnaissance Unit, commander of the IDF Golani Brigade Battalion 51, Commander of the Egoz Unit, Commander of the Alexandroni Brigade, founder of the Commando Brigade, and Commander of the Training Command and the General Staff Corps,” the Prime Minister’s Office said in a statement.

Shortly after the announcement, Attorney General Gali Baharav-Miara said she had not been informed and that Netanyahu violated legal guidance.

“There is a serious concern that he acted when he was in a conflict of interest, and the appointment process is flawed,” she said.

Legal petitions challenging the appointment are expected to be filed.

On Wednesday night, the High Court ruled against the government’s controversial dismissal of Shin Bet director Ronen Bar.

“The government failed to provide a factual basis for removing the Shin Bet chief,” wrote Court President Justice Isaac Amit in a sharply worded majority opinion. “At best, it rested on a thin and shaky foundation. At worst, it was arbitrary.”

The ruling further stressed that the Shin Bet’s independence is vital for maintaining Israel’s democratic institutions and that Bar’s dismissal represented a “neglect of basic concepts concerning the Shin Bet and the position of its director as an apolitical and independent state official who owes, first and foremost, a duty of loyalty to the public.”

Though Bar had already announced his resignation effective June 15 and the government technically withdrew its decision to fire him, the court ruled that the matter was of such public importance that it warranted a binding legal interpretation regardless.

Attorney General Gali Baharav-Miara responded swiftly, informing Netanyahu that due to the court’s finding of a conflict of interest — arising from active Shin Bet investigations into the prime minister’s close associates and their relationship with Qatar — he was barred from appointing Bar’s successor until new legal guidelines were established.

“The court found that the prime minister acted in a conflict of interest,” Baharav-Miara wrote. “Therefore, he must refrain from any steps concerning the appointment of a new Shin Bet director until legal instructions are established to ensure the process is conducted properly. These will be formulated in the coming days.”

But Netanyahu lashed out at the decision, calling it “disgraceful” and accusing the court of overreach.

“This ruling harms Israeli democracy and national security,” the Prime Minister declared, insisting that he would move forward with appointing a new Shin Bet head regardless of the attorney general’s directive.

Netanyahu and Bar have been blaming each other over what was known before Hamas’ October 7 attack and whether it could have been prevented, as well as the “Qatargate” scandal. Bar claims that Netanyahu’s decision to dismiss him was influenced by a conflict of interest related to the ongoing investigation. The government argues that Bar should have resigned after the agency completed its internal investigation in March.

The Shin Bet, Israel’s domestic intelligence service, is responsible for counterterrorism, counterintelligence, internal security, VIP protection, and cybersecurity. The only Shin Bet director to ever leave before the end of his five-year term was Carmi Gillon, who resigned in the aftermath of the 1995 assassination of Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin. (ANI/TPS)

You Might Also Like

Air New Zealand CEO: Starlink to revolutionize in-flight Wi-Fi, ending spotty connectivity | CliqExplainer
Indian farm labourer dies in Italy after being abandoned on roadside with severed arm | CliqExplainer
Iraq’s Economic Future: Navigating the Oil Dilemma
Pakistan's Supreme Court to hear military courts case on January 7
Pakistan: 90,675 polling stations to be established for general elections

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article 'The Wheel of Time' cancelled after 3 seasons
Next Article "He was little more circumspect than usual": Uthappa applauds Kishan's match-winning knock

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?