Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister DK Shivakumar has called for calm and restraint amid a growing controversy over actor Kamal Haasan’s recent remarks suggesting that the Kannada language may have originated from Tamil. Addressing media concerns, Shivakumar described the issue as minor and urged pro-Kannada groups not to escalate tensions. His comments came as the Karnataka High Court and various Kannada groups expressed outrage over the statement, which has stirred linguistic sensitivities in the state.
Deputy CM defuses tension, highlights regional harmony
Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, Shivakumar appealed to the public and pro-Kannada organisations to remain composed, stressing the importance of maintaining harmony between neighbouring states. “If Kamal Haasan has made a mistake, then he will apologise. The court will take the necessary action,” he said. The Deputy CM also clarified that he had not reviewed the full context of the actor’s statement and would only comment further after examining the details.
Emphasizing longstanding ties between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, Shivakumar stated, “We are all neighbours. We have to live and work together. Our water goes to Tamil Nadu, and people from there come here. We are not enemies; we are friends.” He further urged the public to be patient and avoid politicizing the matter, reiterating that nothing in life is permanent, including controversies of this nature.
High Court and film body express strong disapproval
Earlier in the day, the Karnataka High Court weighed in on the controversy, expressing disapproval of Kamal Haasan’s comments. Justice M Nagaprasanna noted that the statement had hurt the sentiments of Kannada-speaking people and questioned the actor’s authority to make such linguistic claims. “Are you a historian or a linguist to make such a statement? No language is born out of another,” the judge said, adding that a simple apology could have prevented the situation from worsening.
In a related development, the Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce (KFCC) announced that it would not allow the screening of Kamal Haasan’s upcoming film Thug Life—set to release on June 5—unless he issued a public apology. The chamber, which represents film producers, distributors, and exhibitors, took strong objection to the actor’s comments made during a promotional event in Chennai, asserting that such remarks undermine the cultural pride of the Kannada-speaking community.
