• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > International > Foreign affairs expert Sushant Sareen hails Indian diplomacy after Qatari court commutes death sentences of 8 former Indian Navy personnel
International

Foreign affairs expert Sushant Sareen hails Indian diplomacy after Qatari court commutes death sentences of 8 former Indian Navy personnel

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE

New Delhi [India], December 29 (ANI): After a Qatar court commuted the death sentences of eight ex-Indian Navy personnel, foreign affairs expert Sushant Sareen has called it the victory of Indian diplomacy.

He noted that Qatar knows well that the death penalty for eight Indian ex-Navy officials will affect the ties between India and Qatar. He said the Indian government did the right thing by respecting the judiciary of Qatar and using diplomacy.

In an interview with ANI, Sushant Sareen said, “I think I will call it the victory of diplomacy as the Government of India used its power of politics and diplomacy for this case and held backdoor talks with the Qatari government. They did not reveal the talks in front of the media. PM Modi, External Affairs Minister and our embassy was involved in the process.”

“Qatar knows this very well that the death penalty to eight ex-Indian Navy personnel will affect the relations of India and Qatar. They (Qatar) will also not want this. Diplomacy was also used and Indian government did right thing by respecting the judiciary of Qatar. Usually, people adhere to diplomacy and do not follow judiciary. However, Indian government operated on both tracks.”

He said that Indian government will now try to bring these eight ex-Navy personnel back to India.

Describing the future steps that can be taken by the Indian government, Sareen said, “I believe we have won only half the war. So far, the pertaining danger has been avoided. However, they still continue to remain in prison. I think we will try to bring them back to India at an earliest. We will use the judiciary of Qatar and our ties with Qatar. I think there are two options for it.

“One is that if an Indian gets sentence in Qatari court, he or she can serve the prison term in India and if this happens, they will come to India. They will come under Indian judiciary’s jurisdictions and case will move forward and they may get relief.

Second option, is that the royal family of Qatar can pardon them and they can return to India. The next step will be to ensure how this happens,” he added.

The Qatari Court on Thursday commuted the death penalty sentence of eight ex-Indian naval officers it had arrested last year in the Dahra Global case, the Ministry of External Affairs said in a press statement. The sentence has now been reduced to jail terms.

Describing the judgement, the Ministry of External Affairs said, “We have noted the verdict today of the Court of Appeal of Qatar in the Dahra Global case, in which the sentences have been reduced.”

The MEA also said that the detailed judgement in the case is awaited, and the government is in close touch with the legal team in Qatar.

MEA added, “The detailed judgement is awaited. We are in close touch with the legal team as well as the family members to decide on the next steps. Our Ambassador to Qatar and other officials were present in the Court of Appeal today, along with the family members. We have stood by them since the beginning of the matter and we will continue to extend all consular and legal assistance. We will also continue to take up the matter with the Qatari authorities.”

The eight Indian nationals have been imprisoned in Qatar since October 2022 and were accused of allegedly spying on a submarine programme. The retired naval personnel were sentenced to death by a Qatar court on charges that have not yet been made public officially.

Earlier, Prime Minister Narendra Modi met Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani on the sidelines of the COP28 summit in Dubai and discussed bilateral partnership and the “well-being of the Indian community” living in Qatar. (ANI)

You Might Also Like

"The 50% tariff on India is unfair, unreasonable": Chinese envoy on US trade move
"Will not rest until bring home all hostages": IDF after killing Hamas chief Yahya Sinwar
China’s AI models compete globally, surpass U.S. rivals amid chip restrictions | CliqExplainer
Ordination ceremony for 500 novice monks underway in Nepal's Lumbini
India’s expanding nuclear sector recognized as one of the most dynamic by IAEA chief | CliqExplainer

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article Eminem seeks protective order against Gizelle Bryant, Robyn Dixon in trademark dispute case
Next Article "In my books, both are separate": Rohit Sharma on comparing WC final defeat to Test loss against SA

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?