• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > International > "Deeply concerned about possible intensification of instability in Venezuela": UN chief Guterres
International

"Deeply concerned about possible intensification of instability in Venezuela": UN chief Guterres

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
6 Min Read
SHARE

New York [US], January 5 (ANI): United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday expressed deep concern over the situation in Venezuela, warning of growing instability and wider regional and international implications following the United States’ military action.

Addressing the United Nations Security Council, Guterres said, “As we speak, President Maduro is being held in New York accused by US authorities, along with his wife Cilia Flores, of serious criminal offenses.”

Highlighting the uncertainty surrounding the country’s future, he added, “What is less certain is the immediate future of Venezuela.”

Voicing apprehension over the broader fallout, the UN chief stated, “I am deeply concerned about the possible intensification of instability in the country, the potential impact on the region, and the precedent it may set for how relations between and among states are conducted.”

Placing his remarks in context, Guterres told the Council, “We meet at a grave time following the 3 January United States military action in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela.”

Referring to developments on the ground, he noted, “Early that day, US forces were active across Caracas and in the northern states of Miranda, Aragua, and La Guaira,” adding that “the extent of casualties resulting from these actions remains undetermined.”

Raising legal concerns, the Secretary-General said, “I remain deeply concerned that rules of international law have not been respected with regard to the 3 January military action.”

Highlighting the principles of the UN Charter, Guterres stated, “The Charter enshrines the prohibition of the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state.”

He further underlined the importance of collective responsibility, saying, “The maintenance of international peace and security depends on the continued commitment of all Member States to adhere to all the provisions of the Charter.”

As diplomatic concerns were raised at the United Nations, developments continued on the legal front in the United States. Venezuela’s deposed dictator Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, arrived at a New York courthouse on Monday, where Maduro is expected to appear before a judge, CNN reported.

Earlier in the day, Maduro and Flores were transferred from the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn to the courthouse. They travelled by a combination of motorcade and helicopter and were heavily escorted by armed Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents, according to CNN.

While legal proceedings moved forward in New York, the developments reverberated beyond the courtroom. Venezuela’s foreign ministry paid tribute to 32 Cuban citizens killed in the US attack on Caracas over the weekend, saying they “gave their lives in the line of duty,” CNN reported.

In a related legal development, deposed dictator Nicolas Maduro’s court-appointed attorney for Monday’s initial hearing will be David Wikstrom, a person familiar with the matter told CNN.

Maduro’s court appearance follows his capture during a military strike on Saturday. In the immediate aftermath, President Donald Trump declared that America is “in charge.”

At the same time, acting Venezuelan president Delcy Rodriguez called for “cooperation” with the United States, signalling a softer response to the attack, CNN reported.

US officials have indicated that Washington is working to establish a pliant interim government in Venezuela. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the focus remains on setting policy and maintaining “leverage”.

During the same period, President Trump made a series of broader remarks touching on other international issues, including implying potential military action in Colombia, urging Mexico to get its “act together” on drugs, and stating that the US “needs Greenland”.

The developments stem from a pre-dawn US operation inside Venezuela. During the operation, deposed dictator Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, were detained and transferred to a US naval vessel before being flown to New York, according to the Trump administration.

US authorities have said that deposed dictator Nicolas Maduro is expected to face multiple charges, including narco-terrorism, drug trafficking and weapons-related offences.

The operation followed months of intensified US military activity in the region. Since September, Washington has launched dozens of strikes against vessels it claims were involved in drug trafficking linked to Venezuela, operations that reportedly resulted in more than 115 deaths.

These actions have prompted legal experts to raise concerns over potential violations of international law.

US legal action against deposed dictator Nicolas Maduro dates back to President Donald Trump’s first term. A superseding indictment unsealed on Saturday added fresh allegations of narco-terrorism and conspiracy to import cocaine.

Attorney General Pam Bondi said on social media that Maduro and others “will soon face the full wrath of American justice on American soil in American courts”.

President Trump’s remarks added a broader political dimension to the case. Speaking at a press conference on Saturday, he stated that the United States would “run the country until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition” and also referred to reclaiming American oil interests in Venezuela. (ANI)

You Might Also Like

Only PPP and PML-N remain in electoral arena: Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari
Pakistan: Unidentified gunmen kills 5 customs officials, minor girl
Pakistan: Journalists, lawyers, and rights groups to hold "Joint Struggle" against 'Draconian' Peca law"
Deepak Miglani appointed as next Ambassador of India to South Sudan
Donald Trump signs Laken Riley Act, expanding crackdown on illegal immigration | CliqExplainer

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article GIMS Hospital Receives South Korean National in Deceased Condition; Woman Arrested for Murder in Noida
Next Article Senior National Boxing: Nikhat, Minakshi, Lovlina start campaign with easy wins

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?