• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > National > 1998 Coimbatore serial blast case: SC denies bail to convicts for "atrocious" crime
National

1998 Coimbatore serial blast case: SC denies bail to convicts for "atrocious" crime

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE

New Delhi [India], October 4 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Wednesday while calling the 1998 Coimbatore bomb blast incident that killed 58 people and left 250 injured, “atrocious”, dismissed the bail pleas of some of the convicts.

A bench of Justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul, CT Ravikumar and Sudhanshu Dhulia said, “They have been convicted for something in which 58 people had died. Bail is out of the question.”

The order of the apex court came on the application filed by some of the convicts seeking bail.

While dismissing the bail plea, the bench said the appeals filed by the convicts challenging the Madras High Court verdict upholding their conviction and sentence be listed for the first week of February 2024.

As the advocate appearing for the convicts, while pleading for bail, said they have been awarded life imprisonment and have been in custody for the last around 25 years, the bench asked him, “How many people died?”

When the counsel said 58 people had died, the apex court observed, “Look at what you have done. 58 people were killed. The nature of crime is an important factor when considering bail. There are concurrent findings by two courts of your guilt. It is an atrocious incident.”

Counsel appearing for the Tamil Nadu government said apart from killing so many people, what the convicts had done to the city was “unforgivable”.

As many as 58 persons were killed and 250 had suffered injuries when 19 bomb explosions rocked Coimbatore city in Tamil Nadu between February 14 and 17, 1998.

The improvised explosive devices, with time delay mechanisms, had been placed in cars, two-wheelers, abandoned bags, push carts, tea cans and so on.

The Madras High Court in its verdict in December 2009 on the appeals filed by those convicted by the trial court, had said February 14, 1998, was a day of “unimaginable terror and horror as bombs continuously exploded in the city of Coimbatore”.

Of the 166 accused in the case, the trial court in August 2007 pronounced 69 persons guilty of different offences. (ANI)

You Might Also Like

NIA declares Rs 10 lakh bounty on gangster Lawrence Bishnoi's brother Anmol
EPFO retains 8.25% interest rate for FY25, ensuring stability for subscribers | CliqExplainer
Delhi police raids NewsClick offices, Opposition questions centre
Indore: Man hospitalised after unknowingly consuming fish gallbladder
Chhattisgarh: Prez Murmu visits Adishakti Maa Mahamaya Devi

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article Neeraj Chopra bags gold medal, Jena silver in spectacular show at Asian Games
Next Article Nexdigm Enhances Capabilities in Professional Services with the Addition of Bimal Tanna
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?