• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > Sports > "We're not going to have much Tests if SA20 does not happen": Shukri Conrad
Sports

"We're not going to have much Tests if SA20 does not happen": Shukri Conrad

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE

Cape Town [South Africa], January 5 (ANI): South Africa Test coach Shukri Conrad said that the national team needs to find a way to strike a balance between Test cricket and SA20, the country’s domestic franchise-based T20 league, indicating that the team and players have understood its contribution towards sports’ financial sustainability in South Africa.

Conrad’s statement comes after a loss to India in the second Test and Cricket South Africa (CSA) announcing a squad of largely uncapped players for the two-Test series against New Zealand next month. This move drew a lot of criticism from fans and some players, who accused them of disrespecting the oldest format of the game, most notably former Australian captain Steve Waugh.

Conrad on the other hand though called for a more balanced understanding and co-existence of tradition with cash-rich leagues, indicating that he and the players have understood the financial stability brought by SA20.

Asked to respond to Waugh’s statements about the SA squad for the NZ series, Conrad said that “our hands have been forced” since SA20 is the “lifeblood of South African cricket” and without it they are not going to have much Test cricket anyways.

“I do not think Steve Waugh is going to care what I say but I love how everybody outside South Africa have become experts on South African cricket. Our hand has been forced. Everybody understands the SA20 has to happen. SA20 has to happen because it is the lifeblood of South African cricket. If it does not happen, we are not going to have Test cricket anyway. We have got to find a way to coexist with the league, we have got to co-exist with leagues around the world to ensure the sustainability of the game,” he said as quoted by ESPNCricinfo.

Conrad was critical of those who decided the calendar and kept the series simultaneously with SA20, which will start its season two from January 10 onwards. CSA has though maintained that the dates were decided before the league’s window was finalised. The insiders though confirmed to ESPNCricinfo that CSA was aware of this clash when it decided to run the league when Future Tour Programmes (FTP) talks happened.

“Yes, there was a cock-up, or somebody got it wrong with the scheduling, and this is why we find ourselves here. It is unfortunate but we all saw the value of the league last year,” said the coach.

CSA has given assurance that there “wil be no further clashes between our bilateral commitments and the SA20” throughout the FTP, though in the 2026-27 season, SA will tour England for three Tests, three ODIs and three T20Is and some part of this series will be in January.

Conrad’s immediate concern is the series with NZ, the second series of their World Test Championship (WTC) cycle of 2023-25. Most of the squad announced for the New Zealand series played a three-match series against West Indies A last month, so they have had game time recently. They will depart for New Zealand two weeks before the first Test, which will take place on February 4.

“What we have done is that I used the A side tour against West Indies as part of the prep. We are going to be leaving for New Zealand a few days earlier, so that we can prepare there,” Conrad said. ‘We leave on January 19 for the Test on February 4,” said Conrad.

The coach backs South Africa to put up a fine performance against New Zealand.

“It is still South Africa that’s going there. We do not sing a different national anthem. We do not wear a different blazer or anything like that. We are going to give it our best shot. I hate the fact that South Africa go as underdogs because I do not think we ever should be underdogs in anything that we do, but we do go as underdogs. Anything that we come back with, whether it is a draw or if we sneak a win, that’s going to be massive for us,” said Conrad.

SA has only played two Tests so far in the current WTC cycle and have 12 points. (ANI)

You Might Also Like

CT 2025: Ravindra Jadeja delivers 3rd most expensive spell in ICC event final by a spinner
"It is built on cricket, to facilitate my career…": Ashwin opens up on role of family in journey towards 100th Test
India's top athlete's eye Paris Olympics at New Delhi Marathon
Carlos Alcaraz’s late-season slump: Analyzing the impact on a rising tennis star | CliqExplainer
Mikel Arteta feels "disappointed" with Arsenal's 1-0 loss against FC Porto in UCL

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article Israel forces eliminated terrorists, destroyed rocket launchers in Gaza
Next Article "It appears privatisation of SAIL units been called off": Jairam Ramesh

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?