• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > International > "We are deeply concerned over arrest of our nationals": South Korean FM amid crackdown by US immigration authorities
International

"We are deeply concerned over arrest of our nationals": South Korean FM amid crackdown by US immigration authorities

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE

Seoul [South Korea] September 6 (ANI): The South Korean government has expressed “deep concern” afte 300 of its nationals were arrested by US immigration authorities at Hyundai manufacturing site in Georgia, Yonhap News reported.

This comes only weeks after Washington and Seoul announced a major trade agreement in July. Last month, speaking to reporters at White House, Trump also called the trade deal with South Korea “historic”.

South Korea’s Foreign Minister Cho Hyun on Saturday chaired an emergency meeting in Seoul, where he confirmed that out of 457 people taken into custody, over 300 were South Koreans, as per Yohnap News.

“We are deeply concerned and feel a heavy sense of responsibility over the arrests of our nationals,” Cho said, adding that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had activated its Overseas Citizens Protection Task Force.

He stressed that the economic activities of South Korean companies investing in the United States should not be “unjustly infringed” upon during law enforcement operations. Cho also instructed officials to provide active consular support for those detained.

During the meeting, Cho said he might personally travel to Washington to raise the issue.

“We will discuss sending a senior foreign ministry official to the site without delay, and, if necessary, I will personally travel to Washington to hold consultations with the U.S. administration,” he said, as per Yonhap News.

According to Yonhap news, First Vice Minister of South Korea, Park Yoon-joo spoke with Allison Hooker, US Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs. Park conveyed Seoul’s regret over the arrests and the public disclosure of footage showing South Korean nationals being detained. Hooker assured that the US State Department was “closely monitoring” the situation.

American authorities have described the arrests as part of a criminal probe into alleged violations of immigration and employment rules. Homeland Security officials said those detained included individuals who overstayed visas or entered through visa waiver programmes that prohibited them from working. Most of them are now being held at a detention facility in Folkston, Georgia, Yonhap News further mentioned.

US President Donald Trump, responding to the matter on Friday, defended the crackdown, calling the arrested individuals “illegal aliens” and saying immigration officers were “just doing their job.”

In July, Trump announced that the US and South Korea had reached a “full and complete trade deal,” which included a 15 per cent tariff on South Korean exports, a $350 billion investment commitment to US projects, and $100 billion in energy purchases.

“I am pleased to announce that the United States of America has agreed to a Full and Complete Trade Deal with the Republic of Korea. The Deal is that South Korea will give to the United States $350 Billion Dollars for Investments owned and controlled by the United States, and selected by myself, as President. Additionally, South Korea will purchase $100 Billion Dollars of LNG, or other Energy products and, further, South Korea has agreed to invest a large sum of money for their Investment purposes,” Trump had said.

Sharing details of the agreement, Cho had earlier told ANI that the deal reflected a “win-win” outcome despite global trade tensions. “This is something not unexpected given the rapidly changing situation in global trade. We were able to sort out a problem and make a win-win through these negotiations,” he said during a visit to India in August. (ANI)

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will continue to make every best effort to resolve this issue as soon as possible,” Cho said, and noted that his government is committed to protecting the rights and interests of South Koreans working overseas. (ANI)

You Might Also Like

"We are determined to stand up to this evil"; says Israeli President Herzog amid war
Argentina, India deepen strategic partnership on edible oil security, agricultural cooperation
New Orleans car-ramming suspect identified, had ISIS flag: Report
Jaishankar-Blinken Meeting: Discussions Span West Asia, Ukraine, and Indo-Pacific
Year Ender: A look back at India's diplomatic landscape calendar, how the world turned the spotlight on India's foreign policy?

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article "Goodbyes are heartbreaking," says Genelia as she shares visuals from Ganesh Visarjan
Next Article PKL season 12: Bengaluru Bulls beats Patna Pirates to secure first win

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?