• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > Sports > "Was sure I would defend my medal": Pramod Bhagat on missing out Paralympics due to ban
Sports

"Was sure I would defend my medal": Pramod Bhagat on missing out Paralympics due to ban

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

New Delhi [India], August 16 (ANI): Indian para shuttler Pramod Bhagat claimed that he was confident about defending his gold medal at the upcoming Paris Paralympics 2024, but a “hard decision” of handing him an 18-month ban by the Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) took away the opportunity from him.

On August 13, the Badminton World Federation (BWF) released a statement to confirm that the CAS handed Bhagat an 18-month ban for whereabouts failures.

Bhagat will remain suspended from all badminton-related activities until September 1, 2025. As a result, he won’t have the opportunity to defend his title and will miss the marquee event in Paris.

“I didn’t expect that the decision would go against me,” Bhagat told ANI.

Bhagat was the gold medal winner in the SL-3 category at the Tokyo Olympics. He was the first Indian to claim a gold medal in badminton at Paralympics.

Earlier this year, Bhagat was a gold medal winner at the World Para-Badminton Championships. His iconic win took him level with Chinese badminton great Lin Dan’s record of five world titles.

While reflecting on his chances of defending his gold in the upcoming edition, on the back of his incredible form, Bhagat claimed that he was going to defend his title.

“I was defending my Tokyo Olympic gold medal. Since January 2023, I have won a lot of titles. My performance was really good, and I was sure that I would defend my medal. But the decision was heartbreaking for me. My four years of training became worthless. I am 36, and this medal was really important to me,” Bhagat added.

Earlier on March 1, the CAS Anti-Doping Division found the SL-3 class men’s singles shuttler guilty of breaching the BWF anti-doping regulation. This was the third instance that the Indian para shuttler was found guilty of breaching the regulation in 12 months.

Following his suspension, Bhagat took to X and stated that the third failure was due to a technical glitch. He reaffirmed his stance and said that athletes get demoralised when a technical issue is imposed on them.

“I didn’t think that due to a technical issue, the decision would go against me. The last test was not my mistake. When I submitted it in January, it was successful. After submission, there was no issue as well. It was not my mistake. It was a technical fault. If you put this issue on an athlete, then it demoralises that athlete. The legal team is working on it, but changing the decision is very difficult because there is not much time left,” Bhagat said.

Paralympics will begin on August 28, and with less than two weeks to go, Bhagat and his legal team are working to overturn the decision.

The Indian shuttler believes that his chances of featuring in Paris are quite difficult, considering what happened with India wrestler Vinesh Phogat’s plea to CAS, which was delayed a couple of times.

“It is very difficult. If I don’t play in Paris and then the decision comes in my favour, it won’t be beneficial for me. I won’t consider it my achievement. You can see what happened with Vinesh Phogat. They made a hard decision in my favour just because I am a big player,” Bhagat concluded. (ANI)

You Might Also Like

Kush Maini completes another successful Formula 1 test, inches closer to Indian F1 Dream
"Have seen huge potential here, we can all do better together": Arsene Wenger on footballing prospects in India
Lobera lauds Odisha FC's team effort in comeback win over Hyderabad FC
RCB trades Shahbaz Ahamad to Sunrisers Hyderabad, Mayank Dagar moves to Bangalore franchise
RCB vs KKR IPL 2026 Match 57 Prediction: Who Will Win Today’s High-Stakes Clash in Raipur? | Cliq Latest

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article Rare diseases point to connections between metabol
Next Article The House of Rare: We Got Together

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?