• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > International > UN's top court orders "immediate halt" to Israeli operations in Rafah
International

UN's top court orders "immediate halt" to Israeli operations in Rafah

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
6 Min Read
SHARE

The Hague [Netherlands], May 24 (ANI): The United Nations’ top court has ordered Israel to halt its operations in the southern Gaza city of Rafah and withdraw from the enclave, CNN reported.

The International Court of Justice (ICJ) situated in The Hague, Netherlands gave the order on Friday, in the case brought by South Africa accusing Israel of genocide, citing “immense risk” to the Palestinian population.

“Israel must immediately halt its military offensive and any other action in the Rafah Governorate which may inflict on the Palestinian group in Gaza conditions of life that could bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part,” said Judge Nawaf Salam, president of the International Court of Justice (ICJ).

Notably, the decision marks the third time this year, the 15-judge panel has issued preliminary orders seeking to rein in the death toll and alleviate humanitarian suffering in Gaza.

However, it is pertinent to note that while orders are legally binding, the court has no police to enforce them.

The court stated that the humanitarian situation in Gaza had deteriorated “even further” since the court last ordered provisional measures in March.

“The humanitarian situation is now to be characterized as disastrous,” Salam said.

The ICJ noted that around 8,00,000 Palestinians had been displaced from Rafah as of May 18, after Israel began its military offensive on May 7.

Israel had warned civilians in parts of the city to evacuate ahead of its operation, but the court said these efforts were not “sufficient to alleviate the immense risk to which the Palestinian population is exposed as a result” of Israel’s incursion, as reported by CNN.

The court also expressed grave concern over the fate of the hostages abducted by Hamas and other armed groups in the October 7 attacks in Israel.

“The Court finds it deeply troubling that many of these hostages remain in captivity and reiterates its call for their immediate and unconditional release,” the ICJ said in its ruling on Friday.

Israel launched its assault on the southern city of Rafah this month, forcing hundreds of thousands of Palestinians to flee a city that had become a refuge to about half of the population’s 2.3 million people, Al Jazeera reported.

Rafah, on Gaza’s southern edge, has also been the main route in for aid, and international organisations say the Israeli operation has cut off the enclave and raised the risk of famine.

ICJ has also ordered Israel to submit a report within one month on progress related to measures ordered by the UN’s top court.

The court said Israel must take effective measures to ensure access to fact-finding missions and investigative bodies from the United Nations to investigate “allegations of genocide” and to open the Rafah border crossing for humanitarian assistance.

Judge Nawaf Salam, said officials in the United Nations indicated that the situation was set to “intensify even further” if the Israeli “operation continues” in Rafah.

Israel has strongly condemned the ICJ order. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a meeting on a phone call with the members of his cabinet on the ICJ ruling, CNN reported.

Israel’s Foreign Minister, the Minister of Strategic affairs, the Minister of Justice, the Minister of Defense, the head of the National Security Council and the Attorney General took part in the meeting.

Israel’s far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said those who “demand that the State of Israel stop the war” are by proxy demanding that Israel “decree itself to cease to exist.”

“We will not agree to that… If we lay down our weapons, the enemy will reach the beds of our children and women throughout the country,” Smotrich said in a statement.

Israel’s National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir also criticised the order calling the ICJ “antisemitic”.

“The irrelevant order of the anti-Semitic court in The Hague should have only one answer: the occupation of Rafah, the increase of military pressure and the complete defeat of Hamas – until complete victory in the war is achieved,” he said.

In a highly-charged ruling in January, the ICJ ordered Israel to do everything in its power to prevent “genocidal acts” in Gaza but stopped short of ordering a halt in the fighting, Al Jazeera reported.

Israel has repeatedly dismissed the case’s accusations of genocide as “baseless”, arguing in court that its operations in Gaza are “self-defence” and targeted at Hamas fighters who attacked Israel on October 7. (ANI)

You Might Also Like

Bangladesh airport fire under control, flight operations resume
Hamas backs Iran for retaliatory strikes on Israel in response to Damascus assault
May 9 perpetrators to be punished as per Constitution, says Pak Defence Minister Khawaja Asif
Italy: Political activists denounce Pak-sponsored terrorism in PoK
'We seek overall development of textile, apparel industry in MP with Inditex's cooperation', says CM Mohan Yadav

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article "We did it all": Rakul Preet Singh shares pictures from her vacation to Fiji with Jackky Bhagnani
Next Article PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi stops Pakistan's T20 World Cup squad announcement

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?