Amidst mounting tensions in the Middle East and Iran’s firm denial of any involvement in supporting regional militia groups, the U.S. National Security Council (NSC) Coordinator for Strategic Communications has underscored that the United States is not pursuing a military conflict with Iran and seeks to avoid further escalation.
The statement by the U.S. NSC Coordinator for Strategic Communications, John Kirby, came during a recent press briefing. These remarks come at a critical juncture as tensions in the Middle East have reached heightened levels, partly exacerbated by the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas, with broader implications for regional stability.
Addressing a question on increased number of attack in the region, Kirby stated, “Clearly, these attacks continue, and now they’ve had lethal consequences. We know these groups are supported by Iran. Make no mistake about that. We know that.”
It is pertinent to note that the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen have sharply escalated their attacks in Red Sea since the start of the Oct. 7 Israel-Hamas war. They have used drones and anti-ship missiles to attack vessels. US has blamed Iran for supporting their actions in the region.
Furthermore, during the presser, Kirby emphasized that the U.S. administration has also previously taken measures to hold Iran accountable for its alleged support of various destabilizing activities in the region. This has included the imposition of over 500 sanctions on entities associated with Iran since the current administration took office.
Kirby stated, “We know they support them, we know they resource them, we know they train them, and we know that they’re certainly not discouraging these attacks, whether it’s attacks by the Houthis, what Hamas did on the 7th of October, what Hezbollah has proven capable of doing, and now, of course, what these militia groups continue to do in places like Iraq and Syria and now — now Jordan.”
It is important to note that while the U.S. is taking a strong stance to address these challenges, Kirby reiterated that the U.S. government is not actively seeking a military confrontation with Iran and has no intentions of further escalating the situation.
“We are not looking for a war with Iran. We are not seeking a conflict with the regime in a military way. And as I said in the opening, we’re not — we’re not looking to escalate here,” he said.
