• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > Sports > "They may not need me": Australia opener David Warner on playing 2025 Champions Trophy
Sports

"They may not need me": Australia opener David Warner on playing 2025 Champions Trophy

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE

Port of Spain [Trinidad and Tobago], May 31 (ANI): The seasoned Australia batter David Warner is aiming for a spectacular finish on his final lap as an international player, saying that Aussies will play “fearless” cricket during the T20I World Cup to create a unique piece of history.

The veteran opener also feels Australia may not need him for the 2025 Champions Trophy. Warner announced his retirement from the longer formats of the game, and he left the door open for a possible return to the next major ICC event if the Men in Yellow require an opening batter.

Although he announced his retirement from the longer formats of the game, he left the door ajar for a potential return to the next major ICC event, should the Men in Yellow need an opening batter.

After winning the World Test Championship and one-day World Cup in the previous 12 months, Australia is aiming for cricket’s grand slam at the T20 World Cup, which has been enlarged to 20 nations. It will be played in the West Indies and the United States throughout June, with all of Australia’s matches taking place in the Caribbean.

The 37-year-old Warner is one of just four players with a chance of becoming the first team to win three International Cricket Council trophies at the same time, alongside Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, and Travis Head.

“Being part of that potential history, you only sit back and reflect on those things when you’re completely done and dusted,” Warner, who is in Trinidad, said as quoted by The Sydney Morning Herald.

“I did an interview with the ICC recently asking me about it and all the tournaments I’ve been a part of, and I can’t remember them all, but it’s been great,” he added.

However, he continues to indicate that it may not be the end, citing the ICC’s revived Champions Trophy, a mini-World Cup slated for Pakistan next year.

“They may not need me,” he added with a laugh.

Warner was unable to complete this year’s Indian Premier League (IPL) due to injury in his left hand but demonstrated his fitness with 54 from 21 balls in a practice match against Namibia in Trinidad last week. However, he will not play until Australia’s first match, against Oman in Barbados on Thursday.

His farewell from the big stage has been quite a trip. Australia defeated India in India to win the ODI World Cup in November, he said goodbye to the conventional game at the Sydney Test in January, and he will most likely say goodbye to T20 internationals in the Caribbean.

Whenever the star batter does go, Warner is bound to go out all guns blazing against any team face.

“We’ve always played fearless and I think that’s why we’ve been so successful over the last few years. We don’t care about our spot in a team, we just care about doing the best that we can, and making sure that whatever we’re doing, we’re trying to be that match winner,” he said.

“And the fortunate thing is that we’ve got so many of them. One might come off one day, the next day someone else will come off. So we just know that one person in that top six, if they can get anywhere between 60 to 80 runs at a good strike rate, we know we’re always going to post a good total. It’s the same with the new ball. If Starcy [Mitchell Starc] is swinging the ball, we’ll get early wickets, and that brings the spinners into the game,” he added.

Warner believes Australia’s emphatic World Cup victory over India late last year, followed by a great performance against South Africa in the semi-final, has given them a “upper edge” over other teams.

“If you look at the way that we performed with our backs up against the wall after the first couple of games [losing badly to India and South Africa], you just never count us out,” he said. (ANI)

You Might Also Like

"We tried not giving Head-Abhishek width while bowling….": KKR's Starc after win over SRH
Trent Boult Bids Farewell to International Cricket After New Zealand’s T20 World Cup Exit | BulletsIn
Jordan Thompson upsets Alexander Zverev in marathon clash to reach Los Cabos final
"That was a crucial stage": Jasprit Bumrah on dismissing Muhammad Rizwan in T20 World Cup 2024 clash
"Whole team contributed, that's why we could lift the trophy": Himakshi Chaudhary on South Delhi Superstarz triumph

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article US, China to resume military-to-military dialogue in "coming months": Llyod Austin in Singapore
Next Article Meet 12 Dynamic Companies Driving Change & Leading Market Evolution in 2024

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?