• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > International > South Korea suspends inter-Korean military pact, restores all border activities
International

South Korea suspends inter-Korean military pact, restores all border activities

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

Seoul [South Korea] June 4 (ANI): The South Korean military said on Tuesday, that it would resume all military activities along the demarcation line separating the two Koreas and the North West Islands, for the first time in 5 years after suspending a 2018 inter-Korean military pact, Yonhap news agency reported.

The 2018 deal included setting up buffer zones around the border to suspend large-scale military drills, as well as banning “hostile” acts between the two Koreas, which restricted the loudspeaker broadcasts. It also designated no-fly zones near the border to prevent accidental aircraft clashes.

The announcement came after President Yoon Suk Yeol endorsed a motion to fully suspend the Comprehensive Military Agreement until mutual trust is restored in response to the North’s trash-carrying balloon campaign and jamming of GPS signals in recent days, as per Yonhap news agency.

While speaking in a press briefing, the deputy defence minister Cho Chang-rae, stated “This measure is restoring to normality all military activities by our military, which had been restricted by the 2018 pact.”

“All responsibility for causing this situation lies with the North Korean regime and if the North attempts to stage additional provocations, our military will sternly retaliate based on a firm S. Korea-U.S. combined defence posture,” Cho added.

Following Tuesday’s suspension, South Korea is now able to conduct drills to strengthen front-line defences. Units are authorized to create training plans near the Military Demarcation Line and the border islands.

According to the Yonhap news agency, the suspension also permits South Korea to resume loudspeaker propaganda broadcasts toward North Korea.

These broadcasts, a key psychological warfare tool, include criticisms of the Kim Jong-un regime’s human rights abuses, news, and K-pop songs, which have previously elicited strong reactions from Pyongyang.

Joint Chiefs of Staff spokesperson Lee Sung-jun indicated that various measures could be implemented following the suspension, noting the military’s use of both fixed and mobile loudspeakers on the front lines.

“Fixed loudspeakers need to be connected to power and installing them could take hours to a few days,” Lee told a regular briefing. “Mobile loudspeaker operations can be conducted right away.”

Government officials have not specified when the measures restricted under the 2018 pact will resume but have not ruled out the possibility of preemptive loudspeaker broadcasts depending on the situation.

A government source indicated there are no immediate plans to install fixed loudspeakers due to potential military tensions, suggesting the military will likely use mobile equipment first if broadcasts are resumed.

A unification ministry official stated that South Korea remains open to dialogue with the North, despite Pyongyang’s continued isolation after cutting inter-Korean communication lines in April last year.

“North Korea should not take actions of self-isolation through such provocations but take the path of denuclearization and people’s livelihood,” the official said. “We will continue to make efforts so that North Korea comes to the path of dialogue.”

On Sunday, North Korea said it will temporarily stop sending balloons carrying trash across the border, though it threatened to retaliate with balloons carrying “garbage amounting to 100 times” in the event Seoul activists send more anti-Pyongyang leaflets.

A North Korean defectors’ group said Monday it could consider temporarily halting the scattering of such leaflets across the border if the North’s leader Kim Jong-un apologizes for the sending of trash-carrying balloons to South Korea. (ANI)

You Might Also Like

Week of Strikes Marks Escalation in Iran-Israel Conflict
Israeli military confirms channelling "large volumes of water" in suspected Hamas tunnels
Smart Investment in Health for a Resilient and Productive Society: Seminar Shares Experience from Cambodia | News & Views
Benin and Sierra Leone formally accept Fisheries Subsidies Agreement, bringing tally to 80
"Basic human rights, dignity" should be respected, says Principal Dy Spokesperson of US State Department on situation in Bangladesh

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article WTO | 2024 News items
Next Article "We're on to final stage of preparations": India head coach Igor Stimac before facing Kuwait

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?