• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > International > South Korea military says North Korea fired some 200 artillery shells off western coast, orders evacuation on two islands
International

South Korea military says North Korea fired some 200 artillery shells off western coast, orders evacuation on two islands

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

Seoul [South Korea], January 5 (ANI): South Korea’s military said North Korea fired some 200 artillery shells into waters off its western coast on Friday morning, Yonhap News Agency reported.

After North Korea’s move, an emergency evacuation order for civilians on the South Korea’s border islands of Yeonpyeong and Baengnyeong was issued. Furthermore, the South Korean military conducted live-fire artillery drills.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said it detected the artillery firings from Jangsan Cape, north of South Korea’s Baengnyeong, and Deungsan Cape, north of South Korea’s Yeonpyeong, from 9 am to 11 am (local time).

The shells crossed into the maritime buffer zone north of the Northern Limit Line (NLL), the de facto maritime border. The buffer zone was set under an inter-Korean military accord signed on September 19, 2018, in order to reduce border tensions, according to Yonhap News Agency report.

The JCS said there was no damage reported to South Korean citizens and the military. The South Korean military called the North Korea’s move a “provocative” act and warned of its corresponding measures.

JCS spokesperson Colonel Lee Sung-jun said, “We gravely warn that the entire responsibility of such crisis-escalating situations lies with North Korea and strongly call for its immediate halt.”

“Under close coordination between South Korea and the United States, our military is tracking and monitoring related activity, and will conduct corresponding measures to North Korea’s provocations,” JCS spokesperson added.

In November last year, North Korea unilaterally scrapped the accord after Seoul partially suspended the deal in protest of Pyongyang’s successful launch of a military spy satellite, the report said.

According to local county office, the emergency evacuation order was given at 12:02 pm (local time) and again at 12:30 pm (local time) on Friday at the request of the South Korean military.

According to Yonhap News report, an official said, “We announced the evacuation after receiving a call from a military unit saying it was carrying out a maritime strike on Yeongpyeong Island as it has a situation with a North Korean provocation.”

During the year-end ruling party meeting, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un defined inter-Korean ties as relations “between two states hostile to each other” and called for stepped-up preparations to “suppress the whole territory of South Korea.”

Amid apparent signs of a military provocation by North Korea, South Korea has ordered civilians on the western border island of Yeonpyeong Island to evacuate to shelters, according to officials.

Earlier in December, it was reported that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is planning to launch three additional spy satellites next year, Yonhap news agency reported, citing Korean Central News Agency (KCNA). The announcement comes after the successful launch of the country’s first military reconnaissance satellite in November.

Kim Jong-un set forth the goal as he wrapped up five days of the plenary meeting of the Central Committee of the Workers’ Party of Korea on Saturday, as reported by KCNA.

“Based on the experience of successfully launching and operating the first spy satellite in 2023 in the space development sector, the task of launching three more spy satellites in 2024 was unveiled and all-out measures to spur the development of space science technology were discussed,” the report said.

Recently, North Korea successfully put a military spy satellite, Malligyong-1, into orbit on November 21 after two failed attempts in May and August. (ANI)

You Might Also Like

Israel makes 'significant' step in water purification
"My heart goes out…": Rahul Gandhi condemns terror attack in Moscow
Kremlin approves Trump's criticism of allowing Ukraine to use US-made missiles to strike Russia: Report
New Edge-Powered Vision Model Transforms Safe, High-Throughput Screening of Aspergillus-Infected Seeds
"I don't have more to add…" White House refrains from commenting on pro-Khalistani terrorist Pannun

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article Kartik Aaryan starrer 'Bhool Bhulaiyaa 3' set to go on floor this month
Next Article "He doesn't go cold, a mighty guy": Aakash Chopra praises Bumrah following win over South Africa

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?