• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > International > Pakistan government blocks over 11,000 SIM cards of non-filers
International

Pakistan government blocks over 11,000 SIM cards of non-filers

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

Islamabad [Pakistan], May 23 (ANI): In a bid to promote tax compliance and tax culture, authorities in Pakistan have blocked the SIM cards of more than 11,000 people so far who failed to file tax returns, Geo News reported citing a spokesperson of the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) on Thursday.

In a statement, the spokesperson of the tax collection body said, “11,252 SIMs have been blocked as of May 22 under the Income Tax General Order.”

“The FBR is committed to promoting tax compliance and tax culture,” a spokesperson added.

The FBR announced a day earlier that more than 9,000 SIMs of non-filers had been blocked all over the country as per the directives of the tax collection body, Geo News reported.

The spokesperson said the FBR informed the telecommunication companies about the decision to block SIM cards to curb tax evasion to improve revenue generation amid dire economic indicators in a meeting held earlier this week.

“The decision has been made by parliament, therefore, the government’s decision should be implemented in any case,” he had added.

Meanwhile, sources said that the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) has distanced itself from the matter of SIM’s blocking, Geo News reported.

The authority maintained that it did not have the authority to block the SIMs.

Earlier, two telecom firms blocked another 3,500 SIMs owned by the non-filers on Tuesday, the FBR spokesperson had said.

He further stated that the SIMs of those who file the tax returns will be unblocked immediately.

On May 17, the Islamabad High Court (IHC), while hearing a case about the orders for blocking SIMs of the non-filers, had remarked that the government’s decision to block SIMs of a non-filler was still in effect as the injunction of the court was not related to blocking the SIMs of non-filers.

Geo News reported that the court had issued a stay order against the action of the telecom companies in a petition against the government for its decision to block SIMs.

The federal government filed a separate petition seeking to lift the stay order on the proceedings against the mobile network companies.

During the hearing, IHC Chief Justice Aamer Farooq clarified that the stay order was solely to safeguard the petitioner and that the injunction was not to block the SIMs. Therefore, the decision of the federal government was still in effect, he had said

“We can understand that the federal government is focusing on economic reforms. This step may have been taken in the context of economic reforms,” the chief justice had remarked.

The court had further pledged to expedite the proceedings and adjourned the case till June.

After lengthy deliberations among the stakeholders, the FBR announced earlier this month that telecom companies have agreed to commence the manual blocking process of SIMs in small batches until their systems are fully equipped to automate it, Geo News reported.

The tax collection body had said that the first batch comprising 5,000 non-filers had been communicated to the telecom operators and that more batches would be sent to telcos daily.

Earlier, it was decided to block 500,000 SIMs of individuals who did not appear on the active taxpayer list but were liable to file the Income Tax Return for Tax Year 2023. (ANI)

You Might Also Like

Vinay Kumar appointed as next Ambassador of India to Russia
US President Joe Biden denounces antisemitism, Islamophobia
Pakistan: Police implicates Shah Mahmood Qureshi in eight more cases
"Need to verify numbers of crew on board and their status": US National Transportation Safety Board on Baltimore bridge collapse
"We will finally stop boats": Rishi Sunak vows to implement Rwanda plan with new emergency laws

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article Kareena, Tabu, Kriti starrer 'Crew' to kickstart its OTT journey
Next Article CSK CEO Kasi Viswanathan opens up about Fleming's possible stint as head coach with India

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?