• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > International > "Nearly 20 people remain…are pressing our interlocutors": MEA on Indian nationals recruited by Russian Army
International

"Nearly 20 people remain…are pressing our interlocutors": MEA on Indian nationals recruited by Russian Army

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE

New Delhi [India], October 21 (ANI): Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri on Monday said that the Russian Army and New Delhi are working diligently to secure the release of 20 citizens who were illegally or otherwise contracted into fighting in the Russian military and confirmed that 85 Indians have been discharged so far.

He said while addressing a special media briefing on Monday ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Russia for the 16th BRICS Summit.

Misri said that the mortal remains of the Indians who were killed in the war were returned to their families.

“Our embassy officials have been in close touch with the interlocutors in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Defence of Russia on the issue of Indians who were illegally or otherwise contracted into fighting in the Russian army. The matter was taken at the highest level including by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with Russian President Vladimir Putin. Around 85 people have returned from Russia and unfortunately, we have returned the mortal remains of people who lost their lives during the conflict. Nearly 20 people remain and we are pressing our interlocutors for the discharge of all remaining in the armed forces there,” he said.

Notably, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar, responding to questions on Indian nationals in the Russian Army in August 2024 said that there are reasons to indicate that the Indian nationals recruited into the Russian Army on false promises were misled, and added that the issue is taken very seriously by the government.

“I think in many cases there are reasons to indicate that our nationals were misled — that they were being told that they were going for some other job, and then they were then deployed to the Russian Army,” Jaishankar said.

Jaishankar asserted both Prime Minister Narendra Modi and himself had personally raised these issues with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and President Vladimir Putin, even during their visit to Moscow in July 2024.

“I have myself raised it numerous times with Russian FM and when Prime Minister Narendra Modi was in Moscow last month, he raised it personally with President Putin and he got President Putin’s assurance that any Indian national who is in the service of the Russian Army will be discharged and released…” Jaishankar stated.

Prime Minister Modi paid an official visit to Russia on July 8-9 at the invitation of Russian President Vladimir Putin for the 22nd India-Russia Annual Summit.

At that time, then-Foreign Secretary Vinay Mohan Kwatra stated that Prime Minister Modi, during his meeting with the Russian President, took a strong stance on the issue of Indian nationals being recruited into the Russian army and the Russian government has assured an “early discharge” of these Indians from the army service.

Notably, 91 Indian nationals were recruited were allegedly duped into fighting in Russia’s war with Ukraine on the pretext of lucrative jobs.

Misri further stated that PM Modi would depart for Kazan on Tuesday for the BRICS Summit at the invitation of the Russian President.

“PM Modi will be departing for Kazan tomorrow to attend the 16th BRICS summit at the invitation of Russian President Vladimir Putin. The theme of this edition of BRICS is Strengthening multilateralism for just global development and security…India brings great value to BRICS and its contributions have played a vital role in shaping BRICS efforts in areas such as economic growth, sustainable development and global governance reform…This is the first summit that will be taking place after the first-ever expansion of BRICS last year in Johannesburg.” (ANI)

You Might Also Like

UAE: Al Jalila Foundation, Positive Zero inaugurate rooftop and carport solar project
Pakistan ruling coalition sweeps Senate elections, wins 18 of 19 seats
Supreme Court Allows Trump Administration to End Temporary Legal Status for Over 500,000 Migrants | cliQ Latest
High Commissioner of India in Mauritius calls on President Murmu
Pakistan shall defend civil servants from violent trolls, ensure "exemplary punishment": Caretaker PM Kakar

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article Bagheera trailer out now, have a look
Next Article Jos Buttler's return delayed, ruled out of Caribbean ODIs due to calf injury

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?