• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > Entertainment > 'Moana' copyright dispute ends, new lawsuit targets sequel
Entertainment

'Moana' copyright dispute ends, new lawsuit targets sequel

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

Washington [US], March 11 (ANI): After a five-year legal battle, Disney has emerged victorious in a copyright trial concerning the origins of its hit animated film ‘Moana.’

According to Deadline, a Los Angeles jury, on Monday ruled in favour of the entertainment giant, concluding that the primary creators of ‘Moana’, John Musker and Ron Clements, had no knowledge of Buck Woodall’s earlier work ‘Bucky the Surfer Boy’ while developing the 2016 film.

However, the legal saga is far from over, as Woodall still pursues a separate lawsuit against Disney over alleged copyright infringement related to the ‘Moana’ sequel, ‘Moana 2’, which has grossed over USD 1 billion globally.

The case centered around allegations that Disney had lifted elements from Woodall’s ‘Bucky the Surfer Boy’, including its Hawaii setting and Polynesian mythological themes.

According to Deadline, Woodall claimed that his distant relative, Jenny Marchick, a former director at Mandeville Films, had shared his copyrighted material with Disney, leading to the creation of ‘Moana’.

However, the jury found that Musker, Clements, and other key figures involved in ‘Moana’ had never seen or heard of Woodall’s work.

“We are incredibly proud of the collective work that went into the making of Moana and are pleased that the jury found it had nothing to do with Plaintiff’s works,” Disney spokespersons said after the verdict was read.

“This decision reinforces our position that Moana is an entirely original creation,” the spokesperson added, as per Deadline.

Woodall’s legal team, however, expressed their disappointment with the verdict. “We are obviously disappointed in the verdict,” said attorney Gustavo D. Lage, adding, “At the present time, we are weighing our options to determine the best path forward regarding the legal remedies available to our client,” as per Deadline.

Despite the defeat in this trial, Woodall’s legal team is not giving up. A separate lawsuit, filed earlier this year, targets the success of ‘Moana 2’ and seeks a staggering USD 10 billion in damages, or about 2.5 per cent of the sequel’s global earnings.

This new lawsuit, which claims a conspiracy involving Marchick and other Disney associates, alleges that Disney knowingly used elements of ‘Bucky the Surfer Boy’ in ‘Moana 2’, which stars Auli’i Cravalho and Dwayne Johnson.

According to Deadline, the latest complaint filed by Woodall’s team accuses Marchick of scheming to steal Woodall’s intellectual property for profit, citing her career ambitions and desire for success in Hollywood.

According to the lawsuit, this conspiracy ultimately led to the creation of the Moana franchise.

In response, Marchick, who now heads development at DreamWorks Animation, denied any involvement in the alleged theft of Woodall’s material.

During her testimony, Marchick stated that she had no memory of ever showing Bucky materials to anyone at Disney, despite receiving updates and documents from Woodall over the years.

She also mentioned securing an interview for Woodall with a Disney Channel animator, but this did not result in any job offer.

While Disney’s victory in the ‘Moana’ copyright case may have settled the matter concerning the original film, the legal battle over ‘Moana 2’ is far from over.

No trial date has been set for this ongoing lawsuit, but as per Deadline, experts predict that Disney will soon seek to have the case dismissed, citing the favourable verdict in the initial trial. (ANI)

You Might Also Like

Malaika Arora skips Arjun Kapoor’s birthday bash amid separation rumours | CliqExplainer
'The Wheel of Time' cancelled after 3 seasons
'The Pitt' renewed for second season
Sanya Malhotra gets Best Actress nomination at New York Indian Film Festival 2024 for role in 'Mrs'
Dalljiet Kaur deletes photos with husband Nikhil on Instagram, team issues statement amid couple's divorce rumours

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article Parliament Budget Session: BJP MP Nishikant Dubey to present reports on Communications and IT in LS today
Next Article Trump revokes security clearances of Blinken, Sullivan, other Biden era officials

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?