The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has issued a critical advisory urging Indian citizens present in Myanmar’s Rakhine state to evacuate the area promptly due to the rapidly deteriorating security situation. This directive comes amidst escalating violence and a breakdown in essential services in the region.
In light of the escalating security concerns, the MEA has strongly advised against travel to the Rakhine state, citing disruptions in telecommunication services, including landlines, and severe shortages of vital commodities. The MEA underscored the urgency of the situation, emphasizing the need for Indian nationals currently residing in Rakhine to vacate the area without delay.
The issuance of this advisory follows recent expressions of concern by the Ministry over the escalating violence in Myanmar and its potential ramifications for India’s security. Myanmar shares a 1,640-kilometer border with several Indian states, including Nagaland and Manipur, which have been grappling with militancy-related challenges.
MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal, in a media statement earlier this month, highlighted India’s deep-seated concerns regarding the deteriorating situation in Myanmar. “As a neighboring country and friend of Myanmar, India has long advocated for an end to violence and the transition of Myanmar towards an inclusive federal democracy,” stated Jaiswal.
It is noteworthy that Myanmar has been embroiled in a state of civil unrest since the military coup on February 1, 2021. The coup marked the abrupt end of a decade of democracy and economic reforms, triggering widespread chaos and uprisings by armed ethnic groups across the country.
Significantly, to ascertain their control and curb the growing dissent across the nation, the Myanmar military has been using airstrikes targeting its opponents and those carrying out an armed struggle against the ruling regime.
US imposes additional sanctions
Meanwhile, in response to the escalating violence, the United States has also recently imposed additional sanctions on Myanmar, targeting key entities and individuals associated with the military junta. The sanctions aimed to curtail sources of revenue that support the regime’s military activities against civilians and those who provide material and support for arms production.
“Today, we have ramped up our economic and political pressure on the military regime, including by restricting U.S. dollar transactions with state-owned enterprises that provide revenue enabling the military to do harm and kill its own civilians,” State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said during a briefing earlier.
“We’re going to continue to support efforts by the opposition to the regime and to seek a resolution of the conflict that provides for genuine and inclusive multiparty democracy,” he said.
