• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > International > Foreign > Lebanon conflict at ‘critical point’ with more than 3,000 confirmed dead
ForeignInternational

Lebanon conflict at ‘critical point’ with more than 3,000 confirmed dead

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
7 Min Read
SHARE

Contents
Vital UN support for burns centreChildren not sparedAid obstacles persistNewborn care smashedExplosive hazards: An ‘imminent threat’ 

According to the UN aid coordination office, OCHA, the updated death toll – which includes fatalities recorded since 8 October 2023 – is 58 per cent higher than the 1,900 people killed during the 34-day conflict in 2006 between Israel and Hezbollah.

“Across the country, at least 71 people were killed in airstrikes on 1 November alone,” OCHA said, warning that the conflict has reached a “critical point”. Because of the conflict an estimated 1.3 million people have been displaced across Lebanon and into neighbouring countries.

OCHA warned that the humanitarian situation continues to worsen because of intensified Israeli airstrikes and displacement orders – particularly in Haret Saida in southwest Lebanon and Baalbek in the east of the country.

Vital UN support for burns centre

Amid new Israeli airstrikes reported in Gaza and Lebanon on Wednesday morning, UN humanitarians delivered vital trauma treatment supplies to Lebanon’s sole specialist burns hospital, where the caseload has spiked because of the massive escalation in violence.Beit Lahiya town in northern Gaza and Nuseirat refugee camp in the centre of the enclave were the focus of dawn strikes, local media reported. In southern Lebanon, Israeli fire hit Tyre and Nabatieh governorate, with at least 20 killed in the coastal town of Barja, the authorities said.

In support of medical teams in Lebanon, the World Health Organization (WHO) provided enough emergency surgical kits and supplies on Tuesday to treat 50 patients at Beirut’s Geitaoui Hospital, with support from the UN’s Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) and the European Union.

The caseload at the hospital was already “very high” before Israeli strikes intensified across Lebanon in late September, in response to Hezbollah rocket fire on targets in Israel, “but now the current conflict has added another layer, another complexity”, said Dr Abdinasir Abubakar, WHO’s Lebanon Representative.

Children not spared

Victims from airstrikes in Lebanon “overwhelmed the hospital”, the WHO official explained, insisting that it was critical to continue supporting “the only burns centre that’s available in the country. Off the 40 burns patients treated so far “25 per cent of them are children”, he said.

Initially equipped with 10 beds, the Geitaoui Hospital burns centre now has 25 beds, providing critical care to severely injured patients.

There are enough new trauma kits to treat 50 patients twice; each kit has two modules, one with medications and another with specialist burns treatments and dressings.

Expressing solidarity with Lebanon’s health professionals, the top UN aid coordinator in the country condemned ongoing military targeting of medical personnel and infrastructure, including ambulances which are “very much under attack”.

“We need to be supporting them with supplies, we need to be supporting them also need with advocacy,” said Imran Riza, UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Lebanon. “There have been great violations of international humanitarian law that we are seeing. So, we need to make sure these are not happening, that health care workers can do what they’re there for, helping people and saving lives.”

Aid obstacles persist

Meanwhile in Gaza, UN aid coordination office, OCHA, reported that for almost a month, all attempts by aid teams to deliver food to people in the besieged areas of North Gaza governorate have been blocked by the Israeli authorities.

In central and southern Gaza, more than 100 kitchens producing 400,000 meals a day are at risk of shutting down owing to supply shortages, OCHA said in an update.

Healthcare conditions in north Gaza remain critical, with Kamal Adwan hospital hit twice in the past week and the delivery of life-saving supplies to the Al Awda Hospital denied.

“The Kamal Adwan Hospital in northern Gaza has become a besieged war zone,” said UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) Middle East and North Africa Regional Director Adele Khodr.

Condemning the decimation of specialist care for newborns across Gaza, Ms. Khodr noted that Kamal Adwan’s neonatal intensive care unit is “the last remaining [facility] in the north”.

Access to the hospital remains “incredibly difficult”, the UNICEF official noted, adding that children who were treated there had been reportedly killed and injured in this week’s attacks. “Oxygen and water supplies have been damaged, disrupting critical care for the few still clinging to life inside,” she said.

Newborn care smashed

According to UNICEF, at least 4,000 babies in the enclave have likely been cut off from lifesaving newborn care in the past year “because of sustained attacks on the hospitals earnestly trying to keep them alive”, amid power cuts and “woefully inadequate” deliveries of fuel to power hospitals. “This has been especially deadly in the northern parts of the Gaza Strip.”

During his first visit on Tuesday to the enclave since Israel launched its latest military operation in the north a month ago, the top UN aid coordinator for the Occupied Palestinian Territory appealed for an end to the suffering.

“This is not a place for humans to survive,” said Muhannad Hadi, from the Al-Mamouniya School in Gaza City, run by the UN agency that assists Palestine refugee, UNRWA. “This must end. This misery must end. This war must end. This is beyond imagination.”

Explosive hazards: An ‘imminent threat’ 

More than 42 million tons of rubble and a “large concentration of explosive hazards” also pose “an imminent threat to civilians” in Gaza, OCHA said, citing mine action staff, adding that the entry of specialized personnel and equipment for the disposal of ordnance remains restricted.

“Across all five Gaza governorates, Explosive Remnants of War (ERW) contamination is likely to be both on the surface and sub-surface, involving not only land service ammunition (projectiles, mortars, rockets, missiles, grenades and landmines), but also deep-buried bombs, as well as weapons and ammunition caches,” the OCHA update noted.

https%3A%2F%2Fnews.un.org%2Ffeed%2Fview%2Fen%2Fstory%2F2024%2F11%2F1156571

You Might Also Like

In China, hostels become havens for job-seeking youth amid soaring unemployment
Russian President Putin apologises to Azerbaijan President after fatal plane crash
US Presidential Debate 2024: Donald Trump refuses to take responsibility for January 6 Capitol attack
Gun Violence Likely to Increase During Summer Months
Youth in PoK hit the streets in protest against inflation, unemployment

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article Christina Applegate opens up on her health battle, says "I lay in bed screaming"
Next Article Earthquake of magnitude 6.1 jolts New Ireland region of Papa New Guinea

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?