• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > Sports > "It feels bad sometimes…": Mary Kom reacts to ongoing gender controversy at 2024 Paris Olympics
Sports

"It feels bad sometimes…": Mary Kom reacts to ongoing gender controversy at 2024 Paris Olympics

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

New Delhi [India], August 3 (ANI): Indian boxing legend Mary Kom has weighed in on the ongoing gender eligibility controversy involving Algerian boxer Imane Khalif at the ongoing Paris Olympics.

The issue emerged after Italian boxer Angela Carini abruptly quit her match against Khalif in the 66 kg women’s category, resulting in Khalif winning the bout within just 46 seconds.

This rare occurrence followed Carini’s withdrawal, who cited discomfort during the match.

In an interview with ANI, Mary Kom, a Padma Shri awardee and celebrated Olympic medalist, responded to the controversy by saying, “What to do. It’s better not to comment because it’s not in my hand. It feels bad sometimes also, how do they know that? But I will still say that officials will handle that… I am nobody to comment.”

The controversy around Khalif is compounded by her previous disqualification from the International Boxing Association (IBA) Women’s Championships last year due to elevated testosterone levels.

However, she was cleared to compete in the Paris Olympics by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), despite the IBA’s ban on Olympic boxing due to governance issues.

Indian athlete Dutee Chand, who faced a similar issue in 2014 regarding her eligibility due to hyperandrogenism, expressed her support for Khalif, in an earlier interview with ANI.

Chand criticized the questioning of Khalif’s eligibility, emphasizing that if the IOC had no objections, others should not raise concerns.

“A lot of issues occur when such a situation comes up. I faced it in 2014. Before I was selected for the Commonwealth Games, I was dropped from the team,” Chand said.

She further added, “When IOC made no complaints that she is male by gender, how can someone question her?.. She has lost 9 games so far (in her career). Today, she (Angela Carini) is questioning as she lost the game. She would not have raised a question had she won.”

Following the match, Carini, who appeared visibly upset, refrained from shaking hands with Khalif.

In her post-match interview, Carini described the match’s end as a result of the pain she experienced.

“I felt a severe pain in my nose, and with the maturity of a boxer, I said ‘enough,’ because I didn’t want to, I did not want to, I could not finish the match,” Carini said, adding, “I am not here to judge or pass judgment. If an athlete is this way, and in that sense, it is not right or it is right, it is not up to me to decide.”

The IOC defended Khalif’s right to compete, asserting that all athletes in the boxing tournament comply with the regulations and eligibility criteria set by the Paris 2024 Boxing Unit.

The IOC condemned the previous disqualifications and clarified that the athletes involved were victims of arbitrary decisions by the IBA.

“The current aggression against these two athletes is based entirely on this arbitrary decision, which was taken without any proper procedure,” the IOC stated, adding, “We are committed to protecting the human rights of all athletes participating in the Olympic Games as per the Olympic Charter.” (ANI)

You Might Also Like

IND vs ENG: England end the second session at 215/8 at Tea in Hyderabad (Day 01, Tea)
Root scores ton as England dig in against India on day three, lead by 75 runs
Asian Canoe Sprint Championships: Megha Pradeep secures bronze medal
ICC Women's Player of the Month nominees for July named
Indian junior men's hockey team beats Pakistan 6-5 in shootout to clinch bronze at Sultan of Johor Cup

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article Aerosmith announces retirement from touring with heartfelt post
Next Article Former U.S. President Donald Trump criticizes Google over allegations of censorship and autocomplete failures | CliqExplainer

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?