• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > International > Ecuador faces nationwide blackout
International

Ecuador faces nationwide blackout

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

Quito [Ecuador], June 20 (ANI): Ecuador faced a nationwide blackout on Wednesday afternoon and the country’s Public Infrastructure Minister, Roberto Luque, blamed the “failure in the transmission line” for the emergency, The New York Times reported.

In a statement posted on X, Roberto Luque said he had received a report from the national electricity operator, CENACE, about “a failure in the transmission line that caused a cascade disconnection, so there is no energy service nationwide.”

Luque said the authorities were working to resolve the outage “as quickly as possible.” Within hours, power had started to return to some parts of Ecuador’s capital, Quito.

Ecuador, which has a population of 18 million people, has been struggling with an energy crisis for several years. Failing infrastructure, a lack of maintenance and a dependence on imported energy have all contributed to rolling blackouts. However, none of them have been as widespread as this one, The New York Times reported.

Around 3:15 pm (local time) on Wednesday, most of the people in Ecuador found themselves without power. Notably, the majority of Ecuador’s energy comes from Colombia, a nation that has struggled to generate enough power for its own domestic consumption.

A Chinese-built hydroelectric power plant, the Coca Codo Sinclair Dam, worth USD 2.25 billion was supposed to help solve the problem of Ecuador. However, the project has become a major headache for the Ecuadorean authorities. There have been several construction errors, which have resulted in a legal dispute between Ecuadorean officials and the Chinese company.

Earlier in April, Ecuador faced blackouts, which the Energy Ministry said was caused due to historically low water flows after an extended drought, rising temperatures and a lack of maintenance of the country’s electrical system, according to The New York Times report.

For weeks afterwards, the ministry imposed daily power cuts that lasted several hours. Ecuador President Daniel Noboa declared an energy emergency, directed businesses and government offices to shut down for several days and called for the resignation of the energy minister.

Earlier in May, the blackouts had ceased in Ecuador. Luque, who also serves as the acting energy minister, said on June 7 that the risk of power outages had been mitigated. However, parts of Quito on June 16 again faced an outage. Three days later, the entire country suffered a power outage.

On Wednesday evening, the sound of cars honking and drivers shouting filled the streets of Quito and Guayaquil as traffic lights stopped working. The public transit systems and some water supply companies suspended services in both major cities, The New York Times reported.

Quito’s mayor expressed surprise that the blackout had impacted Quito’s subway system, which uses an “isolated” power source. He further said, “The event must be very significant to have affected even the power in the Quito metro.” (ANI)

You Might Also Like

Feb. 14 is Deadline for Self-Nominations for IAFNS Emerging Leaders Award
Tackling health impacts of climate change and scaling up digital climate action in the spotlight at COP28
UK increases family visa income requirement by 55%
Israel: Amid reports of torture inside jails, rights experts call for end to impunity
Israeli Reserve soldiers stumble upon 1,500 year-old lamp

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article Upasana Kamineni Konidela shares heartfelt message on daughter Klin Kaara's first birthday
Next Article "I'll be available, don't necessarily see…,": Australia skipper Marsh confirms his availability to bowl

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?