• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > International > Chinese govt orchestrates steps to suppress commemorations of upcoming Tiananmen Square protests, says HRW
International

Chinese govt orchestrates steps to suppress commemorations of upcoming Tiananmen Square protests, says HRW

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

New York [US], June 3 (ANI): The Chinese administration has orchestrated several arrests of activists who sought to organise the commemoration ceremonies of the 35th anniversary of the 1989 Tiananmen Massacre to be held on Tuesday in China and Hong Kong, a report by the Human Rights Watch (HRW) stated on Sunday.

Additionally, the administration has also rejected all acknowledgement of the mass killings during the same incidents, and any redressal being given to the families of the victims.

Maya Wang, acting China director at Human Rights Watch the report mentioned that “The Chinese government is seeking to erase the memory of the Tiananmen Massacre throughout China and in Hong Kong. But 35 years on, the government has been unable to extinguish the flames of remembrance for those risking all to promote respect for democracy and human rights in China.”

The HRW report, On April 3, Xu Guang, a student leader from 1989, was sentenced to four years in prison for “picking quarrels and provoking trouble” after he demanded that the government must acknowledge the Tiananmen Massacre holding a sign calling for redressal against the local police station in May 2022. Xu was reportedly tortured, shackled, and mistreated while in detention by the defence personnel.

In another case, a group called Tiananmen Mothers consisting of relatives of victims of the 1989 massacre, claimed in the HRW report that Zhan Xianling one of their founders was put under severe surveillance outside her house. Additionally, Pu Zhiqiang a human rights lawyer and Ji Feng a student leader from Guizhou, were put under serious police surveillance.

Moreover, on May 28 and 29, Hong Kong police arrested seven people, including the already detained lawyer-activist Chow Hang-tung, and her 65-year-old mother, for alleged “seditious” posts regarding an “upcoming sensitive date.” Chow was amongst the organizers of Hong Kong’s annual Tiananmen vigil being organized by the now-disbanded Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China.

These were the first arrests under the city’s recently adopted Safeguarding National Security Ordinance, known as “Article 23,” which punishes peaceful speech and civil society activism with heavy prison sentences. In January this year, a Hong Kong Court overturned Chow’s acquittal plea, all when she had been released in December 2022 of the charge of “inciting others to take part in an unauthorized assembly”. Raising its voice against the concern the United Nations Working Group on Arbitrary Detention determined that Chow’s arrest was arbitrary and has called for her immediate and unconditional release.

The HRW report claimed that the members of the Hong Kong Alliance face a probable life sentence on the charges of “inciting subversion” under Hong Kong’s National Security Law, awaiting a trial date. In November 2023, Hong Kong authorities did not renew the work visa of a Canadian-Chinese history professor, Rowena He. The Chinese University of Hong Kong subsequently fired her. She is the author of Tiananmen Exiles: Voices of the Struggle for Democracy in China, which the authorities removed from Hong Kong public libraries in May 2023.

The Chinese government has long ignored domestic and international calls for justice for the Tiananmen Massacre. Some of the sanctions that the European Union and United States imposed at the time have over the years been weakened or evaded. The repeated pressure exerted by the international community has caused a severe increase in human rights violations in China, the HRW report added. (ANI)

You Might Also Like

GDP up by 0.3% and employment up by 0.3% in the euro area
Facilities provided to Imran Khan in jail more than those provided to ordinary prisoners: Pak Minister
Ukraine’s strikes on Russian-held village result in 26 deaths: Authorities | CliqExplainer
U.S. researchers fabricate commercial grade uranium dioxide HALEU fuel
Israel-linked cargo ship 'MSC Aries' seized by Iran have 17 Indian nationals onboard: Sources

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article Ongoing war destroying social fabric in Gaza, UN aid official says
Next Article ICC announces record-breaking prize money for T20 WC 2024 winners

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?