• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > International > At least 17 people killed in Russian missile attack in Chernihiv, says Ukraine
International

At least 17 people killed in Russian missile attack in Chernihiv, says Ukraine

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

Kyiv [Ukraine], April 18 (ANI): Amid the ongoing conflict between Kyiv and Moscow, at least 17 people were killed and several others were injured after three Russian missiles hit a busy downtown district of Chernihiv in Ukraine just before noon on Wednesday (local time), The New York Times reported, citing Ukrainian officials.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said the death toll, reported by the office of Ukraine’s prosecutor general, might increase. He blamed Ukraine’s lack of air defences for the loss of life. Ukraine’s prosecutor general said that 61 people had been reported wounded.

In a statement, Zelenskyy said, “This would not have happened if Ukraine had received enough air defence equipment and if the world’s determination to counter Russian terror was also sufficient,” according to The New York Times report.

He said, “Terrorists can destroy lives only when they first manage to intimidate those who are able to stop terror and protect life.” The district where the missiles hit is a crowded part of the city near a university and hospital.

Speaking over the phone, Oleksandr Lomako, the head of Chernihiv city government, said, “I personally saw dead people on the road killed by shrapnel and smashed cars covered in blood.” He said, “I looked through the dates of birth of the victims; so many young people there.”

He said that rescue workers were still carrying out search for victims in the rubble. He added, “This strike is just one more confirmation that Ukraine urgently needs air defense systems and ammunition,” The New York Times reported.

Chernihiv is located on the border with Russia and missiles are often seen overhead. Russia launches attacks at towns and cities across Ukraine. Lomako said, “They used to be downed,” adding, “But not any more, it seems.”

Ihor Klymenko, Ukraine’s minister of internal affairs, said, “Among those killed as a result of Russian shelling is a 25-year-old police lieutenant.” Klymenko said, “The woman lived in a neighbouring house, was at home on sick leave. A fatal shrapnel wound.”

In the beginning of the war, Russian forces surrounded Chernihiv and it suffered massive destruction. However, people have returned to the region after the Russians were pushed out and Ukraine’s air defences improved, the report said.

As missiles flew into the skies, fierce fighting between Russia and Ukraine continued across the front. Russia has been pushing into the outskirts of Chasiv Yar, hoping to take control over the hilltop fortress and open the way to carry out sustained attacks on the last major cities, which are still under Ukrainian control. About 35 miles south of Chasiv Yar, Ukrainians are trying to hold new lines after being driven Avdiivka at the start of the year.

As US military assistance has largely been suspended since the start of the year, the Western-supplied air defence systems required to shoot down near-Russian missile attacks are nearly out of ammunition. It has increased the urgency of Ukraine’s efforts to hit Russian weapons at their source in Russia and occupy parts of Ukraine.

In an interview with PBS, Zelenskyy said that delays in US support have resulted in recent losses along the front, according to The New York Times report. He said, “I can tell you, frankly, that without this support, we will have no chance of winning.” (ANI)

You Might Also Like

Qatar Court Accepts Appeal Against Death Sentence for Eight Former Indian Navy Personnel
Earthquake of magnitude 4.3 strikes Tibet's Xizang
World celebrates 10th International Yoga Day from Srinagar to Tokyo | CliqExplainer
Mujibur Rahman’s rise to Sheikh Hasina’s fall: A timeline of Bangladesh’s turbulent history | CliqExplainer
More to say about next year's G7 when we assume presidency: Trudeau on whether Canada will invite PM Modi

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article Rishabh Pant’s stellar return boosts delhi capitals in IPL 2024
Next Article Stuart Law announced as new head coach of USA team

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?