• English
  • Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Marathi
  • German
  • Gujarati
  • Urdu
  • Telugu
  • Bengali
  • Kannada
  • Odia
  • Assamese
  • Nepali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Japanese
  • Arabic
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
Notification
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Home
  • Noida
  • National
    • BulletsIn
    • cliQ Explainer
    • Government Policy
    • New India
  • International
    • Middle East
    • Foreign
  • Entertainment
  • Business
    • Tender News
  • Sports
    • IPL2025
  • Services
    • Lifestyle
    • How To
    • Spiritual
      • Festival and Culture
    • Tech
  • Noida
  • National
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Sports
CliQ INDIA > International > Amid AP legal row, White House says coverage of US Presidency is 'privilege', not 'legal right'
International

Amid AP legal row, White House says coverage of US Presidency is 'privilege', not 'legal right'

cliQ India
cliQ India
Share
7 Min Read
SHARE

Washington DC [US], February 25 (ANI): As the legal row between the Associate Press and the White House continues, the latter issued a statement on Monday regarding the access of journalists to the Oval Office and Air Force One, calling it to be a ‘privilege’ and not a ‘legal right’.

The statement by the White House said, “As we have said from the beginning, asking the President of the United States questions in the Oval Office and aboard Air Force One is a privilege granted to journalists, not a legal right. We stand by our decision to hold the Fake News accountable for their lies, and President Trump will continue to grant an unprecedented level of access to the press. This is the most transparent Administration in history.”

This statement comes amid the background of the Associate Press suing three officials in federal court after their reporters were banned from attending United States President Donald Trump’s event at the Oval Office and Air Force One, CNN reported.

AP accused the Trump administration of violating the freedom of press -which is mentioned in the First Amendment of US constitution. The ban also violated the due process clause of the Fifth Amendment which protects people from being taken away their liberty, AP alleged.

According to CNN, AP filed the suit on Friday in US District Court in Washington, seeking an emergency hearing and a court order to declare the ban unconstitutional and require them to rescind it.

Judge Trevor McFadden who has been assigned to handle the case, turned down a request from AP to temporarily lift a ban Trump imposed earlier this month to punish the news organization over its decision to continue using the phrase “Gulf of Mexico” even though Trump renamed the body of water “Gulf of America”, CNN reported.

The Judge scheduled a hearing for March 20 to hear arguments over the AP’s request for a preliminary injunction.

McFadden gave a number of reasons for why he decided to deny the request for emergency relief at this stage in the litigation, including that he wasn’t persuaded that the AP was facing “irreparable harm” as a result of the ban, CNN reported.

He said the news organization “can get access to the same information” from the pool notes that are given to all members of the White House Correspondents’ Association even if it’s barred from being at the events where that news is made.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt in a video message shared on X said, ” The winning continues here at the White House every day”. Referring to the judge denying Associated Press’s emergency request for a temporary restraining order to restore their privilege of returning to the White House press pool, Leavitt said, “The judge’s denial of the Associated Press’s request reinforces what I said from the podium last week and what President Trump has been saying- covering the American presidency in the most intimate and limited spaces in this White House, in the Oval Office, on the Air Force One, is a privilege. It is not a legal right. And we want all voices to have that opportunity”.

She added that thus in this regard, the James S. Brady briefing room has been expanded so as to invite truly legitimate independent journalists, podcasters, and other media types into that room to “cover this president with honesty, and accuracy and with real mindfulness of what the American people actually care about.”

“The winning continues here at the White House,” says @PressSec.

“Today, a federal judge right here in Washington, D.C. denied the Associated Press’ emergency request… to restore their privilege of returning to the White House press pool.” pic.twitter.com/f9k96bV2Jd

— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) February 25, 2025

Citing AP Spokesperson Lauren Easton, CNN reported AP– “We look forward to our next hearing on March 20 where we will continue to stand for the right of the press and the public to speak freely without government retaliation. This is a fundamental American freedom”.

The AP was prohibited by the White House over continuing the use of the name “Gulf of Mexico” even after Trump renamed it to “Gulf of America.”

“The Associated Press just refuses to go with what the law is and what has taken place; it’s called the ‘Gulf of America’ now,” Trump said at a recent press conference- an event the AP was not allowed to attend.

AP argued in its complaint that “the press and all people in the United States have the right to choose their own words and not be retaliated against by the government.”

“The Constitution does not allow the government to control speech. Allowing such government control and retaliation to stand is a threat to every American’s freedom,” AP lawyers wrote in the complaint.

Earlier in January, the US President announced that the US government would rename the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of America and the change has taken effect at government agencies. However, the new name has not been recognised by other nations. The Associated Press still refers to it as the Gulf of Mexico. Other news outlets in the world have also made similar decisions. (ANI)

You Might Also Like

India expresses condolences on loss of life caused by earthquake in Tibet
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to visit India post Lok Sabha polls
Hamdan bin Mohammed issues directives for organising Dubai AI Week in April
Raja chari to command artemis II moon mission in 2024- A new era in space exploration
Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah to begin India visit today

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Copy Link Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Angry0
Wink0
Previous Article 97th Academy Awards to feature star-studded performances and A-list presenters
Next Article CT 2025: Toss delayed in South Africa-Australia clash due to rain

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Bengal Falta Repoll 2026: Massive Security Deployment After Election Controversy | Cliq Latest
National
May 21, 2026
Peddi Promotion Event In Bhopal: Ram Charan And AR Rahman Ready For Mega Show | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
Junior NTR Dragon Teaser Out: NTR Stuns Fans With Intense Assassin Avatar | Cliq Latest
Entertainment
May 21, 2026
KKR Vs MI IPL 2026: Manish Pandey And Bowlers Revive Kolkata Playoff Dream | Cliq Latest
Sports
May 21, 2026

//

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

We are rapidly growing digital news startup that is dedicated to providing reliable, unbiased, and real-time news to our audience.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Follow US

Follow US

© 2026 cliQ India. All Rights Reserved.

CliQ INDIA
  • English – अंग्रेज़ी
  • Hindi – हिंदी
  • Punjabi – ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
  • Marathi – मराठी
  • German – Deutsch
  • Gujarati – ગુજરાતી
  • Urdu – اردو
  • Telugu – తెలుగు
  • Bengali – বাংলা
  • Kannada – ಕನ್ನಡ
  • Odia – ଓଡିଆ
  • Assamese – অসমীয়া
  • Nepali – नेपाली
  • Spanish – Española
  • French – Français
  • Japanese – フランス語
  • Arabic – فرنسي
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?